Moulding Flasks ,,, Steel
Thanks Lads Big Grin i much appreciate your comments and interest .

Darren ,,,,, i remembered correctly 12" x16" ,, the good thing about steel flasks is if i say need a deeper cope or drag ,, i can just tack weld two together Big Grin

Hi there Jerry ,,,,,,,,,,, i just took my time heating and bending the corners . I was expecting a bit flattering ,, but i got away with it this time .

Hi Ed ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I am with Tom on this one ,,, it welds just fine , but i would not use it structurally ,,,great for handles , tongs and the likes

Rob
Thanks given by:
(02-26-2012, 04:44 PM)RobWilson Wrote: Hi Ed ,,,,,,,,,,,,,, I am with Tom on this one ,,, it welds just fine , but i would not use it structurally ,,,great for handles , tongs and the likes

Rob

Thanks Tom & Rob. That's good information to know. So I won't be throwing out the 3' sections of 1/2" rebar that I have sitting in the garage. They just may come in handy for a future project.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Hello All,
As most of you know I did my apprenticeship and later trained to be an engineer and worked as a plant metallurgist in a Steelmaking plant, specifically a Rod and Bar producing integrated steelworks.

As a result I helped make a whole lotta Re-Bar, truth is Re-Bar isn't a standard thing across the world it is often made using varying grades of steel, a kind of we've got some of this or that, that is out of spec but will still be OK for Re-Bar as it meets the minimum 250MPa and elongation spec, and then there is the "Good Stuff" Temp Core, which has a hardish skin having been quenched in water/glycol coolant for just a few seconds while the centre or core is left very hot in order to self temper, this gives a stronger Re-Bar that you need less of to do the same job, Temp core is made only from very specific grades of steel and is damaged by welding or hot bending so if being used as Re-Bar these processes should not be used.

BUT, if you want to make anything else out of it weld to your hearts content, there is no problem at all and 90% of it is just good Ole fashioned mild steel, it needs no special care, and contrary to many of the urban myths it isn't a special grade that is corrosion resistant either, it is prevented from rusting only by the strong alkali nature of the cement that encases it, nor is it specifically designed to resist cold temperature embrittlement, it just doesn't get cold enough inside the concrete jacket, and the reason that many folks think it can't be welded is that most building standards say it should only be tied with wire, but this is only to prevent pure tensile loads being put through joined pieces in pretensioned bridge and girder castings, 90% of box grid reinforcing cages are factory welded so the steel itself is weldable.

I hope this helps,
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Oh yes, What I first wanted to say was, Nice flasks Rob, really nice, really efficient in terms of sand use too, as the corners are rarely used lose them and rather than a batten tacked around the inside to hold sand the bead "wastes" far less sand.

Well done
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
(03-02-2012, 08:00 PM)EdK Wrote: So I won't be throwing out the 3' sections of 1/2" rebar that I have sitting in the garage. They just may come in handy for a future project.

Ed
Ed, I have adopted that theory as my life model.Rotfl
Rick "it just doesn't get cold enough inside the concrete jacket" Maybe in "jolly old" it doesn't.Big Grin
I'm not challenging you, just thinking of the next season here as it approaches.Blush
Rob, great job6820.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Are you volunteering for a concrete jacket to test its insulation properties Steve?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Nah, thanks for offering.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Of course temperature is relative when it comes to impact loading and impact loading too is greatly reduced as the concrete jacket greatly dampens most impacts, that might be relevant.

My point was that the composite construction of steel plus concrete is of greater importance than the actual properties of either the steel or the concrete used in any single case. but often folks think that the steel must be special to achieve what the composite construction does.

Regards
Rick
Thanks given by: