Latest Delivery
These arrived today. Not sure what I'm going to do with the diamond polishing compound but I had watched a video where a guy used it and thought it might come in handy.

Ed

Thanks given by:
I use the diamond paste on my home made lapping machine for putting a mirror finish on scraper blades. Even better, Tom Lipton made me a believer in the aluminum foil lapping method a few years ago. No joke, it works. Skip ahead to 24:47

Willie
Thanks given by:
(07-30-2021, 10:21 PM)Highpower Wrote: I use the diamond paste on my home made lapping machine for putting a mirror finish on scraper blades. Even better, Tom Lipton made me a believer in the aluminum foil lapping method a few years ago. No joke, it works. Skip ahead to 24:47

Thanks for the video. It was interesting. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
Not a delivery but a purchase from Harbor Freight. I've seen this tap wrench in a number of YouTube videos and wondered what brand it was. Turns out to be a ratcheting tap wrench from Harbor Freight. I need another tap wrench like I need another hole in my head but I was curious so I bought one today while I was at HF. Very impressed with the quality. It's made in Taiwan. I can see it being useful on the mini-lathe so I don't have to constantly change the position of the handle in order to rotate the wrench. The only problem is that the end where a tap guide would fit in has a set screw so I'll need to fix that. For $19 I think it was worth it.  Smiley-gen163

Ed

Thanks given by:
I actually went in the other direction.

I have several ratcheting tap handles. Had to manually tap several holes. Started with the ratchet handle and quickly discovered that I could not back up the tap to break the chips. Went back to the toolbox for the non-ratcheting style.

The ratcheting style seems to work fine in the lathe, mill or drill press with a screw tap and lots of lube but for this occasion and a hand tap I had to go old-school.
Thanks given by:
(09-28-2021, 09:07 PM)arvidj Wrote: quickly discovered that I could not back up the tap to break the chips.

Hmmm, good point. Although you can switch the direction of the ratchet mechanism so I'm not sure I'm following you. I'm sure I'm overlooking something obvious.  17428

Ed

P.S. Never mind. I see what you're saying. I've never used a ratcheting type tap wrench before so I plead ignorance. Blush
Thanks given by:
Yeah.

It was not "I couldn't switch the ratchet" but "turn tap 1/2 turn, switch ratchet, break chips, switch ratchet, turn tap ..." was a PITA. "Turn tap 1/2 turn, break chips, turn tap ..." was much less of a hassle.

As mentioned, that was for a manual tap where breaking the chips by backing up the tap appears to be a "requirement" to not break the tap. When I do use the ratchet handle, or the Tapmatic, or even resort to a drill, I use screw taps which appear to be designed to clear chips while going in one direction.
Thanks given by: EdK
I bought one of the HF wrenches about a year ago. The ratchet selector ring has a center position that locks the ratchet so you can also use it as a 'standard' tap wrench handle. What I like about it, is that it is a beefy tap wrench and with the handles extended out gives lots of leverage for larger taps. The only caveat is, it feels like the ratchet mechanism will break before a large tap would. Don't know if that is good or bad but at least it has a lifetime warranty.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Ed and Willie ... I hope you are proud of yourselves. Now I have to go get one to replace my General Tools handle. Thanks   Smiley-eatdrink004
Thanks given by:
(09-29-2021, 09:12 AM)Highpower Wrote: The ratchet selector ring has a center position that locks the ratchet

I did not know that. Chin

Thanks!
Ed
Thanks given by: