Latest Delivery
(12-20-2021, 10:00 PM)EdK Wrote: Anybody have a suggestion as to what oil to use to replace the questionable oil that's in the gear box from the factory? The manual says 140 weight gear oil. Seems like that's kind of heavy but I'm no expert in gear oil. It needs to be able to be used with a bronze gear.

Ed

EDIT: Never mind, I found this.

Gear Oil

I know you said 'never mind' but I'll pass on my experience. I have two saws at least 10 years old. Cleaned out both gear boxes when they were new and filled them with some synthetic 75w-90 gear lube I had on hand. Both saws have been trouble free. My conclusion is that 'the correct lubriicant' is pretty flexible.
Thanks given by: EdK
(12-20-2021, 09:08 PM)Vinny Wrote:   Also got tired of getting blades that were backward!

Turn it inside out. Sometimes the blades twist the wrong way when they snap open after you take them out of the box.
Willie
Thanks given by:
(12-20-2021, 10:00 PM)EdK Wrote: Anybody have a suggestion as to what oil to use to replace the questionable oil that's in the gear box from the factory? The manual says 140 weight gear oil. Seems like that's kind of heavy but I'm no expert in gear oil. It needs to be able to be used with a bronze gear.

Ed

EDIT: Never mind, I found this.

Gear Oil

I used this which is similar to the Sta-Lube. https://www.grainger.com/product/MOBIL-Synthetic-4ZF30

Quote:Suitable for Applications Containing Yellow Metals.
Willie
Thanks given by: EdK
(12-21-2021, 07:28 AM)rleete Wrote: Bought myself one of these:

Always wanted/needed one, but never wanted to spend the money.  Since I have several seasonal vehicles, it seems I'm always breaking out the jumper cables, and this is far easier to haul out to the garage than pulling the truck out back.  Loads of power, and holds a charge for a long time.  Only downside is that it's pretty heavy at 20+ pounds.

Where those jumper boxes really shine is when the alternator dies. Jump start the car and pull off the jumper cables - engine dies. (Not enough juice to keep the ignition working.) With the jumper box hooked up just find a good spot under the hood to set it where it won't fall, then pull the hood down (not completely closed) to hold it in place. Then you can carefully drive the car for short distances. My jumper box saved me MANY a time to not have to push a vehicle across the lot into the shop in the dead of winter in 6 - 8 inches of snow and ice. Thumbsup
Willie
Thanks given by:
(12-21-2021, 12:12 PM)Highpower Wrote:
(12-20-2021, 09:08 PM)Vinny Wrote:   Also got tired of getting blades that were backward!

Turn it inside out. Sometimes the blades twist the wrong way when they snap open after you take them out of the box.

Didn't happen then, there were several that were made that way. Flipping a 64" blade isn't always that easy and a couple of them broke at the weld. Not thrilled with the poor quality I found in those blades.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
(12-21-2021, 10:54 PM)Vinny Wrote: Didn't happen then, there were several that were made that way.  Flipping a 64" blade isn't always that easy and a couple of them broke at the weld.   Not thrilled with the poor quality I found in those blades.

Well I never said it would be easy. Big Grin
Willie
Thanks given by:
Finally getting caught up a little bit.  Had a short bout with the omicron variant on Christmas of all days.  I had really bad headaches, dry cough with a tight chest and sinus pain.  The headaches are gone and with medication prescribed by my nephew (he's a doctor here in Colombia) I'm doing fine.

I promised to show the new tools so here they are.  Standard drill press although the motor is 350 Watt so, very nearly 1/2 hp instead of the normal 1/3 horsepower.  It has the flimsy hollow column and I may or may not try to upgrade it.  I do want to modify the spindle and I'll start that in another thread.

The rest is a box of regular stuff that was on sale.  Variable speed, reversing hammer drill, circular saw and a jig saw.  Really just wanted the drill but the price was really good.

Still working on my BIL to get some lumber worked up for the benches in the shop.   Smiley-eatdrink004

Interesting that these tools are branded Bauker and Horror Fright has a brand they call Bauer.  Chin

JScott, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
Got this cross vise from Amazon. I could have used it numerous times when using the drill press. It's torn apart now going through the usual cleaning and deburring process.

3" Cross Vise

Ed

Thanks given by:
I bought one of those years ago from HF. Actually well made for coming from that place! It's come in handy on the drill press many times.
Logan 200, Index 40H Mill, Boyer-Shultz 612 Surface Grinder, HF 4x6 Bandsaw, a shear with no name, ...
the nobucks boutique etsy shop  |  the nobucks boutique
Thanks given by:
I've got a 6" Palmgren that is huge and heavy. I bought it in the 'early days' of my metalworking addiction when all I had was my drill press. We don't need no stiiiiiinking milling machine! Boy was I wrong...   Rotfl

Of course the mounting legs on the vise don't match up with the T-slots on my drill press table so it has to be clamped down Rube Goldberg style. And the base is too low to allow turning the lower crank handle because it hits the drill table. If I move it to where the crank handle hangs off the edge of the table where I can turn it, then it's too far out from the spindle. So I have an expensive boat anchor basically.  Bash

Willie
Thanks given by: