Small Tools
Nice work ARBELIST one day when I have some spare timr/energy I will have to get busy on some for myself. Where did yoiu get the wheels for the knurling tool? tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
Arbalest,

Very nice work Smiley-signs107 Beautifully made Worthy
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
I love the finish, very professional looking.
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
Beautiful work.Thumbsup
I don't know how to word this, I don't want you to consider it a challenge or an attempt to advise you, just curious.
Here goes, I heard from a highly regarded moderator of another forum that gringing/sharpening with a belt sander leads to slight rounding of the edges due to the belt's efforts to lift off the bed.
Have you not experienced this?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I got the wheels from one of the model engineering suppliers, not sure which one Tom. You often see them for sale at Model Engineering Exhibitions as well, they are'nt expensive. I think the best ones I've seen for sale were made in Germany.

Seems lots of folks use belt sanders to sharpen tools Steve and I've not had any problems.
For some tools the hollow grind you get from a wheel is good but for other stuff I prefer a flat grind.
I particularly like being able to swap grades easily, I can even do it with the machine running! I based my system on this:

http://www.robert-sorby.co.uk/proedge.htm

I believe Sorby have been sharpening their tools on a belt system for many years.
I'd like one of their grinders but they are a bit spendy!
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for posting the pics. All of those are very useful tools, and good project ideas for those of us looking for something to build. The nudger and spring center are something I've been meaning to make for a while now, but unfortunately my project list grows faster than I can build them. Whip

Nice job on the design of the tangential tool holder. I've seen others with questionable clamping designs, but yours looks rock solid.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the numbers. That's my next project. But it won't be nearly as beautiful as yours!!

What's the up angle on the sharpening fixture? Is the blade 90 degrees to the belt, and laying in the fixture at 45?
Thanks given by:
Top quality work indeed WorthyWorthy , the finish looks really classy to. Well done

Cheers Mick
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the comments guys. The tool bit sits in a vee cut into the jig, which is at 30 degrees. If you need more pics let me know.

Edit: have a look at the jig here, does it help?

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/...ers-14673/
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
(09-30-2012, 03:55 PM)Arbalest Wrote: Thanks for the comments guys. The tool bit sits in a vee cut into the jig, which is at 30 degrees. If you need more pics let me know.

Edit: have a look at the jig here, does it help?

http://www.homemodelenginemachinist.com/...ers-14673/

Yes, thanks.
Thanks given by: