CNC Plasma Table
Im cutting a 1/2 - 10 tpi acme thread that will elevate the torch. When I ground the cutter I got the tip width a little wide, closer to the width required for 9 tpi. According to the thread gauge I have. As a result at .055 inch thread depth (rather than .060) the pitch dia came into tolerance by the 3 wire method. Will that be a problem when I try to make the nut. Not sure if I'll make a tap or try to single point the nut.

[Image: IMG_1021.jpg]

If I drill the pilot hole for the female thread 10 thou over will that correct the shallower root on the male thread?
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
It's too late but I would have made the screw longer and used the extra to make a tap.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Thought about that Steve but the stock was right on .5 and figured you'd want the OD of the tap slightly over to get clearance. Ended up grinding a 1/8 cutter with plans of single point threading the nut.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Getting the carriage(?) that carries the torch put together.

[Image: IMG_1027.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1028.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Made up the torch mount and cut the recess in the slide for the acme nut to engage it.

[Image: IMG_1030.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg, I'm getting excited and looking forward to the obligatory video of it in operation. Thumbsup
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs009
Thanks given by:
Have the gantry pretty much together. Still need axles for the stepper brackets and stops with limit switches for the side movement. Will try and get a weight tomorrow, surprising how the weight adds up.

[Image: IMG_1032.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1033.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Very nice Greg! It's coming along well.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ed, guess most of the machining is done, next will be welding up the table. Have some scrap square and rectangular tubing that looks like it could be repurposed.
Greg
Thanks given by: