CNC Plasma Table
Greg, while I was dreaming of making a CNC plasma table I thought of anchoring it to a wall so it could be "swung" down for use and "swung" up to get it out of the way. I have since realized I will NOT be making one, it's just another "pipe dream". Sad
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Never paid any attention to the fact or this is odd rectangular tubing but the sides are bowed. Was going to drill and tap the holes for the rails to mount when I noticed this. Ended up drilling then making plugs, welding them in and milling the tops flat while supporting the tube at its edges.

[Image: IMG_1034.jpg]

Ordered an electronic package for it today from http://www.candcnc.com
Pricey but its supposed to be the complete package assembled and tested. This way I can let the magic smoke out of a working system.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Got the side frames drilled and tapped. When I put the two face to face with the bosses touching there's a 1/16 or so bow in the middle, hard to tell if they're both or one bowed Will be able to shim the rails to get a straight track.

[Image: IMG_1035.jpg]

Oh the gantry came in at 30 pounds without the steppers.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Get some thin piano wire, arrange to tension it down the length of your beams, and you'll soon see which are squiffy
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
The major frame work is complete. Bigger than I envisioned, going to take up a lot of real-estate.
Want to try using a water table to catch the dross and smoke, now need to find 5 x 5 foot steel.

[Image: IMG_1036.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
At least you'll be able to move it around if it gets in your way.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Now if you made those legs able to telescope to a lower level, and made a frame to sit over all the gubbins on top, you'd have a fine work table for when you're not plasma cutting. It's the amount of space they take up that's stopped me making one over the years
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
This was probably one of the most impractical to build things I've ever made. Needed cable track and had no idea where to buy it in this area, Im sure its cheaper to buy than build.
Had a stack of aluminum tags that were remarkably sized well. cut them in two and sandwiched the stack with dowels and went to milling.
A router bit makes a great rounding over cutter for aluminum.
[Image: IMG_1040.jpg]

Set up some jigs to position them in the brake.

[Image: IMG_1042.jpg]

Seams to roll nice and stays straight in the one direction.

[Image: IMG_1043.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Boy! I'm glad I came to my senses about a build like this. I've got a guy "round the corner" that'll cut up to ½" for me . I'll just use him when I need a few parts cut.
Good job Greg, glad your doin' it, not me. Rotfl
BTW I'm still really enjoying your progress! Thumbsup
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Pretty much ready for paint.

[Image: IMG_1047.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by: