Not very good welding
Hi,
Here's a couple of photo's of my welding - stick welding.
This one is nearly OK. The paint helps Rotfl

Where it is rubbish, as most of it is I weld/grind, weld/grind weld/ grind then some emery then paint, as you can imagine it's take forever. SlapheadSlapheadSlaphead

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Dave, the blue one looks OK half way through. But then it looks like you started rushing the puddle. If you would have maintained your speed all they way through, I would have given that weld a gold star! Big Grin

So that right there is proof that you CAN weld. Just don't get in a hurry to finish. Thumbsup
Willie
Thanks given by:
(10-16-2012, 09:01 AM)Highpower Wrote: So that right there is proof that you CAN weld. Just don't get in a hurry to finish. Thumbsup
The problem is most of the time I don't know what I'm doing wrong or right to achieve some sort of consistency Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Dave your welds look great from my house!Smiley-signs107
At least you don't hang grapes like I do.Bash

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Jerry,
But that one is the only really, really good one Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Like the musician repied to the tourist who asked " how do I get to Carnegie Hall" practice man practice.
I think welding needs frequency or long sessions. I always find the welds I produce at the end of a session are much better than the ones at the start.Thumbsup
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
You're right Steve, also I really need someone to stand there and tell me what is wrong and more especially what is right.
At the moment it is pure luck Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(10-16-2012, 05:21 PM)stevec Wrote: I think welding needs frequency or long sessions.

Smiley-signs064

I think that's probably a good portion of my problem. I need to practice consistently and for longer periods per session.

Ed
Thanks given by:
If you have had the rods for a while which most hobbyists like myself do and then need to do a quick repair we just grab the rods and start welding. We usually miss one very important step, the rods must be dry, perfectly dry. That is the reason they make rod ovens to keep the rods perfectly dry. A rod oven or storage for rods can be convieniently made using an old bar fridge with a 40 watt bulb inside left on continuously, barring that a couple of hours baking in your wifes oven at 200 to 250F may make all the difference in your welds. This is especially important with 7018 but also with other rods. If you ever get a chance try some ARCTEC rods, they have the equivalent rods to everyone else but they just seem to weld smoother and better for me. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
Tom not all rods need to be kept in a rod box, some rods like 6010, 6011, and 6013 don't have to be stored in a rod box/oven. if the rod was shipped in a carboard box no, if it was shipped in a metal can or sealed in plastic yes after opening if not used within 8 hours should be kept in a rod oven.

I have some 6013 I won't tell how old it is that welds today as good as it did the day I bought it.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by: