Not very good welding
I am not a professional welder by any means and most of the things I have done with 7018 but after the problem I had years ago I always made sure my rods were dry and have had better results ever since. The problem I had was in construction of my engine stand. I was using 7018 on 2 1/2 inch 1/4 wall tubing and I was having a hard time maintaining a good steady arc with a nice bead, it just was not going well, the rod was fairly fresh and I could not figure out why. I had a break for lunch and put the rod in the oven for an hour or so at 250 F and went back out to the shop and it welded up beautifully so ever since before I do any welding in the shop I have made sure the rod was dry. When mounting the wreckers on my tow trucks I used 7018. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
7018 should be kept in an oven if not used up completely within 8 or 9 hours as it will draw moisture. also if you don't use large amounts of it buy it in small quanity's so it isn't laying around open for long periods of time.

Wet material, high moisture, and damp rods in the 70 series of welding rods can and does promote and causes what is called HAZ cracks in the root of the weld.

an as you have already indicated not all welding rods of the same type will weld the same way for everyone, the rod I like which will do a wonderful job for me is a rod that you would probably hate, its all in the make up of the flux. I normally hate welding stainless steel specially the E310 series the rods just don't want to cooperate but I used some rod on a job while in Chile on a change out that welding flat was like welding with 7024 the slag would actually curl up as it cooled leaving the prettiest stainless steel weld that I ever saw except for TIG.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I use 7014 for everything I stick weld and I've never noticed a difference between a new, fresh box or the 8 month old box I'm using now, it's been left open in the garage (aka welding shop) throughout the dampness of this past summer's rains and the humidity whims of NS.
dallen, I have welded with some SS rod that I got from work (over 12 yrs ago) and it did just like you described, the slag just curled up as it cooled leaving a weld that looked like a pro's.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Here's a couple of pics to prove my welding stance (or disprove itBlush)

This will be the tank/crossframe for the new log splitter I'm building.
It will be self powered by an 8hp tecumseh driving a 2 stage pump and will incorporate a "cross" wedge that will be hydraulicaly adjustable in height and have a hydraulic log lift for the big ones.
I was going to convert the 3 point hitch splitter I built 10 or 11 years ago but with the addition of the "cross" wdge it would probably take the existing splitter out of service for too long a period so I'm building the new one from the ground up and when it's done I can sell the 3 pt. job.
When it's done I can split firewood without tying up a tractor (after all I only have 3)Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Hi Steve,
Looks good, Smiley-signs107 what type of welding did you use?
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs064 nice welds Steve.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Better thn I could do at the present time, I have had no practice in years, I should have had the camera the other day I spotted the 22 ft tandem trailer I built about 23 ys ago. I sold it to an excavating company who has been using it for 18 yrs so it's a little rough but still holding together. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
Rod is 7014 x 1/8" Blueshield from Air Liquide (could be a Canadian Co. but it's world wide.) I have some 3/32 but it never worked as well for me??
My Buzzbox is an OLD Premier made by Miller.
Thanks given by:
(10-17-2012, 02:44 PM)stevec Wrote: When it's done I can split firewood without tying up a tractor (after all I only have 3)Rotfl

Oh you poor baby! How would you ever survive with only two tractors? Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
Guys.

I just read this thread.

I weld for a living here are the secrets. Cleanliness is next to godliness. It don’t matter if its stick,tig or mig.
The weld process needs to be understood. Oxygen is the enemy, it oxidizes in molten metals, which in turn contaminates the weld, which in turn creates pits, craters and non-fusion.
Second is the machine, most hobbyists more than likely have basic machines that are not forgiving to a amateur so your in the hole before you start But I can be done.

With the right machine in the right conditions I could teach anyone with half an ounce of common sense to weld a decent bead in one hour.

Welding is visual, hand eye coordination, when everything is flowing right, temperature and speed are reached to the sweet spot everything will fall into place, without the understanding listed above the results will always be poor.

I will teach anyone who posts pictures and describes there results for me to read and see. The more information I get the more helpful I will be.

Anthony.
ieezitin, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by: EdK , arvidj