Adding power to the z-axis
Dallen,

Even with the 2 springs it took more than a 2 fingered force to move the head. I noticed that with the RF45 mills that had the crank on the right side, the crank looked much shorter than mine. Maybe the worm gear ratio is different?

Dan
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
Hi DanH. I'm new to the forum but read your great post. I have a RF45 mill too ('98 vintage Taiwanese) & spent many hours looking at gear drive motors on ebay for this exact application. I'm glad I chickened out because it looks more involved as I suspected. Actually I'd be happy to just lighten the hand crank load with gas springs. Did you post that installation somewhere? I tried search & didnt see anything.
petertha, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
petertha,

Thanks for the kind words and welcome to the forum.

The motor install is well worth doing even if a bit complicated. For me, the electrical part was the hardest as I am not that sharp in that area.

The gas spring installation was actually pretty easy. On the left side I drilled and tapped holes for the ball end mounts (.25-20UNC) in the base and the main head mount casting. On the right side I made a mount at the upper end so the gas spring would clear the z-axis locks and a simple mount for the lower end. If I was to do it over I would make both sides mount like the right does as I think it is a cleaner setup. Here are some pictures of the spring mounting.

Even one spring will make it easier to crank the head up and down. Thumbsup

Dan
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by: