Cleaning up my old lathe
Hi Darren

Do you have a few photos of the rear of the lathe .rear of saddle . It would be cool if you could get the feeds up and running .

Rob
Thanks given by:
Hi Rob,

Here you go...

Looking straight at the back of the carriage.  The feed shaft runs through the cradle at the bottom, in which a worm gear runs.  The shaft directly above is for the longitudinal feed and the one to the right is the cross feed.  On the right is the engagement for the cross feed (the longitudinal engagement in on the saddle).

Side view.

Top(ish) view.

I'm pretty sure I posted these earlier but this is what I am using as a reference (from a similar lathe).

EDIT: I just went back and you can see some of these pictures in context in posts 14, 15 and 16 and post 64
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Hi Darren 

From what I can gather Chin , it looks like you need a lever and a clutch to get the cross slide feed up and running  ,do you have the gear that goes on the end of the cross slide shaft ? 
. Looks fixable  Popcorn  

Rob 
Thanks given by:
Hi Rob,

Definitely fixable! I have the large gear for the longitudinal feed (somewhere) but all the others will need to be made. I also need the three gear cluster that drives the feed shaft.

I've got a friend at a local machine shop but I haven't seen him in ages since I finish work much later than he does and they are no longer open on weekends. I need to get back in touch with him.
Thanks given by:
Anything we could do to turn some gear blanks or some other task while you're here?
Thanks given by:
Believe me Ken, I had thought about it but it is probably something I need to do here, since there are 5 gears missing and we have to make a clutch as well.

I dropped into the machine shop where a guy I know works. He has been helping me when he can and he is close enough that he can come and look at the lathe. His brother has just bought the business, so hopefully that will free him up a little.
Thanks given by:
Finished up the spider that I started a few weeks back.  I couldn't find suitable M10 grub screws, so I went with 1/2-13.  In hind sight, it actually made better sense, as all the other fasteners on the lathe are inch.  Also, tapping was so much easier, as in the ton of goodies that Wrussle gave me was a 1/2-13 spiral point tap.  How easy tapping those six holes was Big Grin

Thanks given by:
The brass points are a quality touch. The new owner will really appreciate the attention to detail when he or she gets the machine.

Big Grin
Thanks given by: Mayhem
Thanks Ken - I'm hoping that will drive the sale price up Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Thumbsup  in a word brill
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by: Mayhem