Cleaning up my old lathe
I'm not replying to the post, as per request, but it's Excellent! interesting and an odessy of resurection.ThumbsupThumbsup
Maybe someday I'll be able to put some of the amount of time necessary into a restoration of my broken shaper, but I can only dream of doing as good and thorough a job.Worthy
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry Steve, you must have seen the thread before I changed the title. As you can imagine, I wanted to finish the entire sequence from start to present without the thread being punctuated by other's comments.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
well dun
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Darren,
Excellent work on restoring the lathe Smiley-signs107 Very well done.
Equally excellent post. Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Sorry Darrin for posting in the thread before you got it all posted. Us old codgers sometimes, (actually MOST of the time,) are a bit slow at absorbing the full posting.

Ya still did one heck of a nice job!!
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys.

Sasquatch - I had finished the post before you posted, so all is good. I started the build log whilst I was away in September, just typing the text into a Word document. I then built this post over a couple of days in a dark, seldom seen area of the site and the title included the phrase "please do not respond". Once it was ready to go, I moved it into the lathe section but I forgot to change the name. I changed it a few minutes later but I guess some saw it.

I wanted to document what I had done to this point in time as a continuous series of posts, so that people could read it from start to finish without the punctuation of reading other peoples posts in between. In many cases, such posts pull the thread off in different directions and I didn't want that. Don't get me wrong, I welcome the comments, questions and the valuable help and ideas that these generate but I wanted to get a clean documentation down first.

EDIT - I actually just noticed that when I changed the title of this thread, it only changed the title that appears above the first post. So all my subsequent posts bore the original title, which asked that you don't respond. I have just gone back and edited all of these out, which should avoid further confusion.
Thanks given by:
(10-20-2012, 07:39 PM)Mayhem Wrote: EDIT - I actually just noticed that when I changed the title of this thread, it only changed the title that appears above the first post. So all my subsequent posts bore the original title, which asked that you don't respond. I have just gone back and edited all of these out, which should avoid further confusion.
Darn! there goes the proof.Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for taking the time to post the thread on your lathe Darren, I've often wondered about its history. I haven't been able to read the whole thing yet, but when I do I'm sure I'll have many questions and/or comments. It must have been an adventure restoring such a beast with no documentation!

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Thanks for that thread DarrenSmiley-eatdrink004Welcome
I have just spent a very enjoyable hoiur digesting itWorthy
Great to see old machinery brought back to life
John
Thanks given by:
Tom, John,

Thanks for the comments. I have been meaning to get it all down in one post for a while now.

Happy to answer your questions Tom.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: