Cleaning up my old lathe
Darren, by "When tightened, it pulls up on the gib" do you mean "the bar that runs beneath the rear way." mentioned in post #36.
If that "bar" is only a rectangular flat could you not cut a square or rectangular slot in it that would house a "nut" with a slightly raised surface that would effect a clamping force when you tighten the lever that would now thread into it?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Yes Steve, that would be the bar I referred to (probably incorrectly so).

I'm not 100% sure I understand what you are suggesting. Do you mean the slot would allow the nut to press directly against the way as opposed to trying to force the bar against the way? I'm guessing that would work but I just want to be sure I understand you.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Firstly, I find it a bit creepy that you replied so quickly from so far away, but then I'm old so when I text I put a stamp on it and put it in the mailbox. Rotfl

Yes, you interpreted my post exactly as I intended it to be. (I find that a little creepy too! Rotfl)
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Thanks Steve. I'm guessing I'm 12 hours ahead of you, so its not a bad overlap. Thanks again for the suggestion - I'll give it a go.
Thanks given by:
Thumbsup (but still scary!)
Thanks given by:
Darren,

How about a pic of the gib design. Is it an existing part, or something you added?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
It is an existing design Tom.

Essentially the saddle overhangs the rear way and the gib is simply a length of steel that attaches to the bottom of the overhang and the bottom of the way. By tightening the bolts, the rear of the saddle is held from lifting up. I'll try and get some pictures.
Thanks given by:
Many designs of slide lock, use a tapered bolt or sliding nut with a tapered side and a bronze follower that would pass through a hole in that "Gib" when the bolt rises via the action of the thread the tapered side forces a lateral movement in the bronze follower which then locks against the bed, might sound complex but is very effective and discrete so when you want something to look unmodified it's a good option.

My H/V mill uses a similar design on the universal table swivel and also on the some of the other minor sliding bits

Regards Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Just to be a snotty pain in the butt, I don't think the piece under the rear of the saddle that keeps the saddle from rising due to cutting pressure should be called a "GIB". Maybe someone who has a good (not Asian) lathe manual could look up the part and tell us what the proper term for it is. Chin Blush
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2013, 06:31 AM)stevec Wrote: Just to be a snotty pain in the butt, I don't think the piece under the rear of the saddle that keeps the saddle from rising due to cutting pressure should be called a "GIB". Maybe someone who has a good (not Asian) lathe manual could look up the part and tell us what the proper term for it is. Chin Blush

But that is one of your endearing qualities Steve Big Grin

I'd be happy to be educated as to the correct term. No exploded diagram exists exists for my lathe, and a manual is even more unlikely. There was a guy on the site that will not be mentioned who took the time to do an exploded version of a South Bend lathe in CAD and I'm sure it would be listed on that. Pity I cannot view it any more.
Thanks given by: