Cleaning up my old lathe
I've heard it called the rear "keeper" or "guide" keeper because it "keeps" the rear of the saddle from lifting and on a flat bed lathe it also "guides" the saddle. But if there is a real name for such a part I doubt anyone knows it of course it is only going to be similar to other lathes and this lathe isn't similar to any others I've seen, but even vee or prismatic bed lathes need a keeper, only flat bed ones need a guide.

The important thing is we all know which bit we're talking about.

Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
(09-02-2013, 10:57 AM)Rickabilly Wrote: The important thing is we all know which bit we're talking about.

Rick

That's why I seek clarification, I'm not used to knowing what we're (I'm) talking about. 17428
Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Just looking at the exploded views that came with my 9x20 lathe and they call the part a "slide guide"

Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
Darren, as a newcomer here, I want to commend you on a job well done! Larry
LJP, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2013.
Thanks given by: Mayhem
Thanks Larry - It has been an interesting journey of discovery!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Rick, is your 9 X 20 an "Asian" lathe?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I forgot to get a photo when I was in the shop this evening. I'll be back on the weekend, so hopefully I remember then.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Hello Steve,
The 9x20 is and isn't an Asian Lathe, 9x20s are a clone of the EMCO compact 8 which is of European design and manufacture, German I think, but the Asian lathes tend to vary in quality, some are sold through "Jet" (Bill Gruby's) and there are numerous other brandings, often they come with a verbatim copy of the EMCO manual with only the front cover having been changed.

Mine was bought new through a company called "Gasweld" in Australia and is a pretty good quality clone, I have never suffered from any of the foibles that the rough ones do, So yes the machine is Asian, but of good quality and the the manual was printed in Asia but written in Europe, the English is good, as in, not "Chinglish". So I'm comfortable saying that the names of the parts are reliable.

Sorry for going so far off topic Darren.

Regards
Rick
Thanks given by:
Rick, thanks for the response, the reason I asked is because I don't trust ANYTHING written in "Chinglish, Taiwiglish or other Asian translations. Your Emco copy is one I would trust> So, my vote goes for "slide glide". Thumbsup
Thanks given by:
Oh no Steve,
You've been reading too much "Chinglish" it says "Guide" rather than "Glide" Blush I'm sure Chinglish is infectious.Smile

Oh well...
Best Regards
Rick
Thanks given by: