leadscrew nut re taper attachment
Some half nuts for the cross slide seems like they would work but I have no idea how you'd incorporate those into the cross slide. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
So hear's a hairbrain idea... Chin

Make a nut to fit the cross slide screw and cut the thread at a 45º angle. Then cut a clearance hole for the screw at a 45º angle to the thread. Now when the nut is at 45º, the threads will engage and when it is rotated 45º, they will disengage. All you need then is a way to rotate and lock the nut to the two positions. That should be pretty straight forward because there is already a mounting screw and hole for the nut.

Tom

[Image: Acme.JPG]
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
6820 idea Tom.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Peter
I think I may have figured out the mechanism. Lots of moving an pivoting parts.
Here's a really rough sketch of what I think is going on.

[Image: IMG_0294.jpg]

The trick is the screw for the cross slide isn't fixed to the carriage but the taper attachment and a sliding spline is used from the handle to the screw.
The base for the taper attachment is fixed to the carriage. The taper attachment when fixed to the bed then slides in that dovetail. The taper is set above that. A block slides in the taper attachment the screw is threaded through it. Turning the screw (though the spline) moves the cross slide on the carriage, or the block sliding in the taper moves the cross slide when the carriage moves down the bed.

When the taper slide is disconnected from the bed everything moves together and only the thread moves the cross slide.

Hope this makes some scene, not sure it does to me.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Your sketch makes sense, I think you nailed it. Thats a very neat trick actually. I was looking at that cross section you posted in that same leadscrew vicinty wondering, the cross hatching looked different. But it almost looks like a traversing pin in there, so I figured it was still hard connected to the leadscrew.

Hmm.. some good ideas & insight here. Glad I asked. Now I have to think on this & figure out a plan.

>Turning the screw (though the spline) moves the cross slide on the carriage, or the block sliding in the taper moves the cross slide when the carriage moves down the bed. When the taper slide is disconnected from the bed everything moves together and only the thread moves the cross slide.

Attached Files
.jpg   leadscrew.jpg (Size: 19.18 KB / Downloads: 22)
petertha, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Glad that was of some help, still not clear on the drawing where the thread connects to the cross feed. Lots of parts in there, it even disconnects the handle when the rapid traverse is used so that it isn't spinning at high speed, but remains connected when using the power cross feed.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: