Gerard's Shaper Design
Gerard,

I have to ask how you turned that nasty looking steel into usable material? Did you take a grinder to it to get rid of the bad stuff prior to machining it?

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks given by:
Absolutely amazing work Gerard.

"Billy G" Thumbsup
Thanks given by:
Hello to all Welcome

Sorry for the late reply to Ed's question. My computer was two weeks out of service.

If I have very heavily rusted steel I remove it with an old screwdriver or an old chisel. Then I mill with a roughing end mill cutter down to the naked steel. Then I use a surface milling tool with hard metal inserts for a flat plane surface. For the final touch, I use new or little-used new inserts and milling than with 1600 revs / min a layer of only a few hundredths of a mm. You will see that you get a beautiful flat and shiny surface.
For round steel I use the same procedure on my lathe.
It is important that your mills or cut the first pass through the rust down to the naked steel. The cutting tool gets otherwise too many strokes and will be immediately blunt.

Good luck

Gerard Thumbsup
Thanks given by: EdK
I must have missed this when it was first posted but I am glad that I have seen it now. Excellent work Gerard and thank you for sharing this, as well as generously making the plans available.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Hello

I've forgotten something important.
If you use steel that is cut with a cutting torch you should always let it cool slowly in air. Never cooling by water immersion. The steel would harden and no longer worked with conventional cutting tools and drills.

Gerard Thumbsup
Thanks given by:
Again i have to say beautifull workmanship!!

Very interesting to follow this project along. Thanks for the fantastic pics and info.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
beautiful. I'd definitely be interested in the plans.
It'd probably take me a couple of years to build but by the looks of the design, would be a perfect addition to the tool arsenal!

love it. has there been any more progress? even a couple more pics for us to drool over?
Thanks given by:
(11-19-2012, 04:41 PM)4R8 Wrote: love it. has there been any more progress? even a couple more pics for us to drool over?

Let me see what I can dig up.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Here are a few more pictures. Enjoy! Big Grin

Ed

Thanks given by:
Amazing! I think I now have an idea how to repair my broken Havir Shape-Rite! Now all I need is to get a "round toit".
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: