Gerard's Shaper Design
Really nice work Gerard Thumbsup Smiley-signs107 Worthy
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Wow, I'm a seriously late comer to this party. I can't believe I didn't hear that someone was building a shaper from scratch before now.

Gerard, your gearbox looks very well designed a machined. It must have taken some time to cut all those gears. Did they all mesh properly, or did some require fitting? Is the design based on an existing shaper gearbox or did you design it from scratch. It is excellent work either way.

What size is your shaper? It's hard to get a feel of the scale from the pictures.

Thanks for taking the time to post the build thread. I'll be patiently awaiting the next installment. Popcorn

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(04-05-2013, 07:34 PM)TomG Wrote: Wow, I'm a seriously late comer to this party. I can't believe I didn't hear that someone was building a shaper from scratch before now.

Gerard, your gearbox looks very well designed a machined. It must have taken some time to cut all those gears. Did they all mesh properly, or did some require fitting? Is the design based on an existing shaper gearbox or did you design it from scratch. It is excellent work either way.

What size is your shaper? It's hard to get a feel of the scale from the pictures.

Thanks for taking the time to post the build thread. I'll be patiently awaiting the next installment. Popcorn

Tom

Hello Tom
Thanks for your positive comments. Originally I was intend to build a Gingey shaper but the casting of the parts ware an outright failure. So I came up with the idea to build a shaper of steel. I have searched waste material and according to the dimensions of the found material I made a new design. Some parts were so rudimentary that I've created a completely new design. The columns of my shaper are 395 mm x 340 mm. The ram stroke is approximately 230 mm. The horizontal table displacement is 240 mm and the height adjustment of the table approximately 190 mm. When my shaper was almost finished, I got the idea to build a gear box instead of a step cone pulley. I do not like it relaying a belt every time when I wants changing the machine speed. I had no model or pictures of an existing gearbox. I have designed them fully from scratch so it must fit all in the still build shaper. It has taken me quite some time to calculate and draw everything. If the main axis, driven by the motor, has a speed of 240 rev/min the shaper can work at 30, 45, 60 or 90 strokes/min. I think that 90 strokes/min fast enough. Had to prove that it is too low, I can make the motor pulley larger so the speed increases.

Gerard Welcome
Thanks given by:
Thanks Gerard you're project has inspired me to manufacture out of steel the cast iron parts that were broken in the tip over of my shaper.
I just hope we all live long enough for me to post the progress and completion of job. It's nnumber xxx? on my list. Smiley-signs131
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Thank you so much Gerard for allowing us to watch the build of this shaper. You are truly a master in every sense of the word. Every time I look I want to start building.

"Billy G"
Thanks given by:
Hello guys

The gear box for my shaper is complete finished. I have all the parts painted and assembled. Everything works fine. Attached some pictures. Now I'm going to start with the last part, the cross slide lift mechanism.

best wishes
Gerard
Thanks given by:
Hello

I think there was something wrong with uploading the pictures.
I send then again. Bash Worthy Slaphead

Gerard Thumbsup

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
WOW!

When are you taking orders?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Very nice Gerard
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Superb craftsmanship Gerard! I like the color you chose. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by: