cheap chinese mill vise
someone posted a write up on a Kurt Mill Vise clone and how they rebuilt it, I am needing to reread the thread can someone help with finding it.

That whack I got upside the head the other day when a 3X3 came out of the wood lathe is making it sorta tough to think at the moment.

Thanks
David
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Geez Dave i remember too reading that writeup, but i'll be darned if i can remember were it was.

(And i didn't get a whack in the head,, i'm just getting old and forgetfull.) Lol
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
David,

I believe this is what you're looking for.

http://www.docsmachine.com/projects/4vise/4vise-01.html

http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=887

Ed
Thanks given by:
yep thats itSmiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenana, thanks

Thanks given by:
Good thing we have young folks here like Ed to help us old fellas find things!! Lol
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Might as well start from scratch and make a new one. Fixing cheap crap is no fun, and a compromise.
Full of ideas, but slow to produce parts
Thanks given by:
Boy howdy,
If I had a dollar for every time I wished I had the money to buy quality tools as opposed to the get me by stuff I wind up with17431 I could afford the quality tools!! Thumbsup
But alas I'm but a poor old man playing in a rich mans sand box so I too must buy cheep and take the time to improve the quality of the tools as I can. RotflRotflRotfl

Jerry.Popcorn
ETC57, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
I'm not cheap, but 400.00 bucks for a vise is a little out of my financial reach, so I have to use cheap vise's and face mills. But if and when I can find a decent buy on a good vise, or insert mill I'll snag it.

But for some reason I find that the ones on evil bay that start off cheap always end up at about new stock price, so I got chinese instead of italian for tool's.BashBash

but back to the vise, its the same vise that was shown in the write up, and it does pretty good. what I was wanting to know about an the reason for wanting to reread the thread was did he smooth out the spot in the movable jaw that the wedge rides against, and from what I could find no he didn't. but mine was the same as his with the wedge being rough and unmilled so I filed it smooth.

Big GrinBig Grin
DA

Thanks given by:
Cheap Chinese cutting tools are like a Chinese buffet.

[Image: 1339112859284.jpg]
Thanks given by: