Drill press Tapper
Finished this Hand-Tapper for my Drill Press last night.

"Billy G"

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
A picture is worth 1,000 words, however I'd enjoy a few words explaining "howzit work?".
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Pic #1 mounted in drill press. Pic #2 handle to right is up and tapper is down. Pic #3 my big mitt turning the tapper. Pic#4 shows the tapper bottomed out on the large disk at the left. Tapping a 7/16-14 thread in this sequence.

"Billy G" Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Very nice piece of work Bill, interesting posting.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Interesting Bill - are you tapping under power, using the large wheel as a clutch or manually tapping by turning the wheel (I'm guessing the latter). Is a depth stop?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
That tool cannot turn in the spindle of the drill press. In fact, it would be a good idea (and safer) to disconnect the power from the drill press to avoid accidentally turning it on. Most drill presses don't have speeds slow enough for power tapping anyhow. That's where slip-clutch tapping heads come in.
Thanks given by:
What does the "handle to the right" do, up or down?
Sorry you have to hold my hand and walk me through thisBlush.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I thought that was the case but thought I would ask.

Steve, to me that looks like it simply keeps the tap raised to make setting the hight easier. Perhaps Bill will have to post a video.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
The handle holds the Tapper up on the shaft, raise the handle and the Tapper lowers to the work. The Tapper freewheels on the shaft in the Drill Press chuck. I use a Tapmatic power tapper most of the time. I found this unit a while back on the net so decided to give it a shot.

"Billy G" Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Billy,
Nicely made Smiley-signs107
I have never seen one of those before - very clever Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: