9X20 Spindle Hand Wheel
(11-09-2012, 05:00 PM)Bill Gruby Wrote: You can say that again Ed. The threas should read like this. 1.125-40X.187.

"Billy G" Blush

now thats one short run of threadsBig Grin
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I need to do 14 cylinders plus a spare and 14 heads plus a spare. It will still take some time to complete.

"Billy G"
Thanks given by:
OK, Ok, I think I got it now. It's sorta like "enga.. crash, stall, shut down, disengage , Ooops too late."
I'm slow, but I do catch on (sometimes).
Great work ( as usuall) Bill.
Steve
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Billy.
Nice work Thumbsup Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Why not turn the threading tool upside down and thread in reverse away from the shoulder?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Good idea Mayhem but there is only .020 relief between the top fin and the threads. That is not enough clearance to get the tool in place.

"Billy G"
Thanks given by:
Hi,

Nice job with the hand wheel. One of the first items I made for my lathe was a spindle hand crank. I don't use it often, but when you got those pesky short threading jobs like you have, it's the tool to have. Makes it so much faster and easier.

dalee
dalee, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
Bill we're gonna need some pictures of the process. PopcornPopcornPopcorn5176
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(11-10-2012, 09:58 PM)Bill Gruby Wrote: Good idea Mayhem but there is only .020 relief between the top fin and the threads. That is not enough clearance to get the tool in place.

"Billy G"
I don't want to be negative Bill, just curious. If you can single point the thread up to the fin how come you can't grind a tool that would allow you to "upside down thread" away from the Fin/shoulder or whatever.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
There is a .020 relief between the top fin and the last thread. Doing it by hand right handed produces less chance of damaging that top fin. It is less that .020 thick. One ding and it's all over.
Yes, to answer the question it could probably be done but I don't want to take that chance. It take about 5 hours to get on cylinder to the threading stage.

"Billy G" Big Grin
Thanks given by: