Tool Grinder (maybe)
Greg,
Looking very smart - the graduations look excellent what sort of tool did you use?
Nice bit of machining for the dovetails Smiley-signs107 Worthy
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Found an engraving bit in some cutter I was given. Basically a D bit with a point, cut surprisingly well at about 3000 rpm.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Where's this "split cotter" and where does it go?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Its still the imaginary split cotter, two of them, to lock the tool angle and the assembly to a shaft. Maybe today, we'll see.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Sorry, Does a "split cotter" look like this?

.jpg   split cotter.jpg (Size: 2.58 KB / Downloads: 150)
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Nope Steve, pictures to follow. Interesting screw up today. Machined a pin to old two of the parts together. Machined two diameters and a shoulder then single pointed a 7/8 14 tpi thread on the end. Cleaned it up with a solid die, then parted it off. The thread is crooked to the pin. HOW!!!!!! The die should have followed the existing thread, I do this all the time lacking full profile inserts. As you thread the pin in the top makes a lovely circle about 30 or 40 thou out.
Greg
Thanks given by:
The offending pin. Still no idea how the threads got cut crooked. Ended up cutting them undersized with a split die then locating the pin in a counterbore above the female thread. Probably the way it should have been done in the first place. The split cotter Steve.

[Image: IMG_0340.jpg]

How it clamps the shaft.

[Image: IMG_0338.jpg]

And the assembly, need to make a handle with thread to tighten the clamp but a bolt works for now.

[Image: IMG_0337.jpg]
Greg
Thanks given by:
Ok, getting the situation now!! (Great pics!!)
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
ah, it's all starting to make sense to me. Well some of it!
I do like that locking mechanism! very nice,
Thanks given by:
We call that split pin you made a Binder here. I was wondering myself what you were referring to. Crystal clear now. Thanks.
Thanks given by: