Enco comes through for me big time!
A week ago I had a complete brain fart moment and damaged my Enco mill.

In a lapse of concentration I left the spindle wrench on during a tool change and turned the mill on. The wrench hit the motor and stalled out. When I tried to turn it off (the switch is a forward-off-reverse three position) it went into reverse. Needless to say I was pretty flustered by the time I got it shut down.

I knew it was hurt as I couldn't move the shift levers and it apperared at least one gear was missing teeth. When I got the head disasembled, I found 2 bent shafts, 4 teeth missing from a gear and one key sheared off. Since the mill is only 10 months old I hoped it would not be a problem getting replacement parts.

The first issue I had was that the owners manual parts breakdown didn't look remotely like the parts that were inside my mill. I checked the Enco web site and downloaded the manual for my part number mill and that one matched the parts in my mill. This morning I called Enco and talked to a guy in the service department. I explained what happened and he said he would see if he could get the parts and then call me back. When he called later the bad news was the company that made my mill went out of business. The good news was he was going to ship me a new version mill for no cost and it was a better built version than my mill.

I am so thrilled with their customer service at this point. I was sick when I damaged my mill but it looks like it will turn out ok after all.
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
Dan,
Sorry your mill was damaged.
Seems all will be good. And well done to Enco Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
That is very good news indeed and good that you have posted this. It is always good to see a company get credit when it is due. I've had Sony fix a problem with my laptop even though it was out of warranty and have heard this from others too.

Most companies know that if they if you walk away happy with their service/product that you may tell one or two people about it. If you walk away unhappy, they know you will tell everyone you know (and even those you don't).

There was a fantastic picture some years back of an Australian Ford owner who was less than impressed with his new car and the service (or lack there of). He documented the faults, lack of service and may have even given the name of the manager and had this professionally cut out of vinyl and stuck on the rear window of his car. This complaint "sticker" took up the entire window. Wish I could find the picture.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
In mid summer or AC went out on the CR-V. Honda service said it was the compressor clutch and coil and would be $550.00.Bawling
A week later we got a survey from Honda asking about or recent service, I filled out the survey and in the Comments section I noted that I was disappointed that the AC repairs weren't covered under the extended service waranty.Rant
Another week later and the service manager called to ask for our credit card info so he could credit the entire amount. He said he had found out that the extended warranty had covered the entire cost.
Thumbsup
Boy! am I glad that I filled out that survey! Cool
It's our second CR-V and because of action like that, there is likely to be a third, somewhere down the road.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(11-12-2012, 10:34 PM)DanH Wrote: The good news was he was going to ship me a new version mill for no cost and it was a better built version than my mill.

Of course you realize you will be required to post pictures of your new mill when it arrives. Big Grin

That is real good service from Enco. Thumbsup

Ed
Thanks given by:
I know the drill EdThumbsup

Here are some pics of the carnage. It's hard to show how bent the one shaft was but I had to cut a section off before I could press off the gears.

Now I have to strip off all of the improvements I installed before shipping the old mill back. It might take awhile (at my rate) to back up and running but I am so glad Enco is stepping up and taking care of me. A lessor company might have just said tough luck and I would have been back to square zero less $$ in my pocket.
Collecting tools for 30 years.
Thanks given by:
Is Enco going to pay to ship the old one back to them?

Ed
Thanks given by:
They must like you Dan. Big Grin

I bought a D1-4 backing plate from them that arrived with the cam pins missing from the box. They refused to just ship me the missing pins, and said I had to ship the thing back to them - but they would not ship the replacement to me until AFTER they received the returned plate.

Glad to hear they are taking care of you though. Smiley-dancenana

I made a similar mistake in the early days after getting my mill. Fortunately I was using a ratchet wrench on the drawbar so no damage was done. The ratchet just spins when driven in the wrong direction. (Or unscrews the drawbar in reverse...) Cheap insurance. Smile
Willie
Thanks given by:
I'd keep one of the busted gears and put it on your wall as a reminder. My Dad made me strip a motor down when I dropped a valve (I guess he thought I was red-lining it). It turned out to be a design fault and all the valves needed replacing. However, I still have it on my wall:

Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
low gear and an open end wrench is all I ever use to loosen or tighten my drawbar, and if I leave it on the bar it will spin off or loosen the bar when I start the motor in the forward direction.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by: