Hardinge Lathe
A Hardinge HLV-H lathe has come up on a government disposal site. Actually come up again, first go around minimum bid was $15,000, no bids. I shouldn't even be looking, but.
Looks good in the pictures, well equipped, needs some cleaning, haven't decided if I should go look at it or not.
The kicker is its 575 volt, read a couple articles that say the motor can't be changed. Can you get a 3 phase transformer to step 220 up to 575.
From what I've read the motor is a real heavy well balanced one to get the smooth.
Any thoughts.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Hi,

Yeah it can be done. I have seen 220/240V 3Ph stepped up to 700V, so 575V should be no big deal - If you have the money of course. You would really need to consult with a supplier to be sure you hit all items needed, (service entrance, wire size, breakers, so on and so forth). And then have a professional installation done to try and insure best quality and outcome.

For home use, I wouldn't spend the money myself. But if you already have the 3ph or big enough converter, it may be doable for reasonable $$$$$. But you gotta make that call.

dalee
dalee, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
Greg, Oh boy! I thought I got out of control at times (always).
Why do you need another lathe? A Hardinge in your shop is desirable, for sure, but geez you don't presently produce stuff with glaring shortcomings on what you have now.
By the way I'm presently considering a 9" southbend because it needs some love.
So disregard the previous blather.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
A man can never have too many lathes can he?
I have a solid state phase converter, to generate 3 phase for the big lathe dalee. It will handle 10 hp the hardinge is only 1 1/2. Will look into a transformer but wonder if a good single phase motor would affect the finish that much.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Hi,

I'm used to utility supplied 3ph power and don't have much experience with phase converters. But, aren't static phase converters often considered second best as compared to rotary types? I ask because I have no direct experience with either.

Generally speaking, a 1ph motor will affect finishes to an extent. How much? Unless you need perfect surface finish straight off the lathe with no second ops, (like polishing with sandpaper or grinding), then it will be a problem. I consider gearheads vs belt drives a bigger possible problem. Still, once you've tried the original setup, you will always weep at the sight of anything less. Smile

dalee
dalee, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Aug 2012.
Thanks given by:
The phase converter I have is totally electronic, apparently gives balanced true sinusoidal 3 phase power. http://www.phaseperfect.com/
Greg
Thanks given by:
Greg, I hesitate to ask, but what did that 10hp capable phaseperfect rig set you back?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
What kind of question is that Steve, you expect me to remember something from more than a week ago. Honestly don.t remember. I bought it through a friend that owns an electrical company, was a good deal I recall.
Greg
Thanks given by:
It looks to be about $3100 for the 10HP version.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed, that price is the reason I said "I hesitate to ask".
Greg, I'd try and forget the price too. Jawdrop
Thanks given by: