Dial Gauges
This was purchased by the company in 1950, I was given it in 1965 when the Inspection Dept, had a clear out.
It is now 62 years of age - still works. An interesting point is the 'cosine tip'

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Interesting dial test indicator there Dave. It's been a while since I saw a Verdict.

That appears to be an improved version of the often-copied Starrett Last Word No.711, but with a special tip that compensates for the angle of inclination. I can't see in the photo how it is mounted to an arm, so does it have the dovetail or some kind of clamp?
Thanks given by:
Ken,
It has a dovetail all along the back, also a screw in part at the top giving an 1/8'' dia to clamp to.
I was always intrigued how they worked, one day a guy said "here - take this apart, just make sure you can put it together again"
That's how I got it. So did I take it apart - not on your life Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Here's a couple that I have:

Interapid 312B-4, which I bought after selling off the Starrett No.711 Last Word kit that I'd bought new in about 1984. I tired of the Last Word's habit of shifting the needle by about .0003" to .0005" every time I changed direction while indicating a bore or other task. It was also a pain to change the spring "direction" with the switch on the Last Word. This indicator is super smooth, needs no switching and does NOT shift the needle. Reading .0001".
[Image: IMG_1117-r.jpg]

Brown & Sharpe, unknown model number. I got this one from an employer who was closing up. It works better than a Last Word, but doesn't have interchangeable tips. You get what you get. No shift of the needle upon reversal, reading .001".
[Image: IMG_1124-r.jpg]

Here's photos of the one I use the most, a Starrett No.709AZ kit. That one is a .0005" reading dial test indicator with a big 35mm dial (1-3/8") and I gotta be it's only fan. The No.708 and No.709 have a reputation for being "quirky", but mine that I bought for $40 from a retiring Starrett guy is PERFECT and I love it. The dial rotates with a feather touch, much less force than the stiffer Interapid.
[Image: IMG_1725-r.jpg]
[Image: IMG_1726-r.jpg]
Thanks given by:
hi all nice you no that i have a fetish for things like thees i will have to do sum post on fixing them
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
I only have two DTIs.

Ed

This Fowler that I got a very long time ago and I beat the hell out of it but it keeps on ticking. I use this one the most by far.

This Mitutoyo 513-942 that's my pride and joy. I got it dirt cheap when Traverse had a closeout sale on them. It's a universal type. Ken can probably explain it better than I can.

Thanks given by:
This Ames has a 4 inch travel. You guys are gonna be sorry you started this and the mike thread. Rotfl

"Billy G" Thumbsup

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
(12-08-2012, 08:36 PM)Bill Gruby Wrote: This Ames has a 4 inch travel. You guys are gonna be sorry you started this and the mike thread. Rotfl

"Billy G" Thumbsup

DroolDroolDroolDroolDroolDrool4 inchesSmiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenana
John
Thanks given by:
(12-08-2012, 08:36 PM)Bill Gruby Wrote: You guys are gonna be sorry you started this and the mike thread. Rotfl

"Billy G" Thumbsup

Not a chance. I love looking at tools.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Ed,

I don't know much about the Mitutoyo one, sorry. It sure is a nice one, and probably best used on a height gauge for comparative measurements.

If you love looking at tools I'll post some pictures of all the radius gauges and other oddball stuff I have. I'm just not sure where, so should I start yet another thread for "hand tools" like that?
Thanks given by: