instrument/corrosion preventing oils
ive been fairly content with using just about any oils ive had on hand. 3in1, sewing machine, kerosene-engine oil mixes even from what i have gathered the "taboo" silicone spray.

i tend to favor the silicone as its oil free feeling when you go to use it again and even the high kerosene to oil ratio for the same reason. my stuff tends to rust from my handling and i handle a combination square like a gage block when putting it up for the night.

anyone use and or can compare what ive listed to say starretts m1 oil or is say something like a kero/motor oil solution good enough? it is a little pricey.

any other inexpensive home brews being used?
mikecwik, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.
Thanks given by:
Two other things spring to mind. I sometimes use Renwax to protect stuff but folks used to use lanolin as well.
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
I use ordinary Vasoline for my gauge blocks, in fact I keep a gob right inside the case. Whenever I use them they get re-coated before they are put away.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: EdK
I've used a 50/50 mix of air tool oil and mineral turps to protect tools and machinery surfaces for years with pretty good results. Recently I have been using Ballistol with very good results. I have an aerosol can as well as straight liquid. Smells like wet dog but it works well and also cleans well too. This is what I cleaned and oiled my mics with.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I have a can of Starrett Instrument Oil for the micrometers, used sparingly. None of the measuring tools have corroded, despite being in a very humid environment.

I spray all the other stuff with Sprayon (brand) 711 rust preventive spray. It seems to work well at even a light coating, inexpensive and a 16 oz can is finally getting low after 4 years.
Thanks given by: EdK
I keep all of mine in these plastic boxes, I think some kind of wipes came
in them, then a folded up paper towel oil soaked and mics ind. and such
all in a zip lock baggies then in the boxes, all in one draw works for me.
big job, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jun 2012.
Thanks given by:
Should have mentioned, camellia oil is also good stuff for tools.
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
I didn't realize this was such an old thread, but what the heck.

I have tried a lot of things to prevent rust, and thought I had it whipped. Then I came to the shop one day last Spring and found a big rust scab on my recently restored Centex mill. A few other machines showed rust as well.
That prompted some serious research. This led me to Lanolin. I bought a pound of it off ebay, and wiped down every tool in sight, large and small. I keep a clean rag saturated in lanolin for this purpose. I also keep a trigger sprayer with lanolin diluted with mineral spirits.
So far so good. Not a speck of rust in the shop, except for the "new" stuff I drag home.
AR1911, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jul 2013.
Thanks given by:
I installed a castoff ceiling fan that my wife found to be very "flowery" (she's a bit of a minimalist) . It's definitely too "flowery" for a shop but I consider practicality over aesthetics.
Anyway, it comes on with the lights and I've found it to eliminate rust due to condensation.
Often when the shop and machinery was cool and I'd open the door to warmer humid air I could almost see the condensation forming on the machines, now a little air movement seems to have prevented the condensation. Thumbsup
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I use Starrett Tool and Instrument Oil on my machinist hand tools.

Edged woodworking tools can be wiped with vaseline or automotive grease before storage. Wipe it off with a clean rag before use.

I keep the bare iron surfaces of my metalworking machines coated with way oil. So far, so good.

Tom
618 user- I'm from New England and I'm here to help.
Thanks given by: