advice on moving south bend mill
We are getting a South Bend Vertical mill (catalog # M1L 3218) at work, from another shop closing down. Its smaller than a Bridgeport, looking for advice on best place to strap on it to lift it on a trailer or rack truck. It has a round ram, can you strap around that, or should you strap around the knee? Im not sure if a fork lift is available at that shop. I will lower the knee all the way down, and rotate the head if I can. Any other tips or hints would be great. Thanks,
Craig
monkers, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Nov 2012.
Thanks given by:
Not familiar with the South Bend. My knock off Bridgeport has a threaded hole in the ram for a lift eye. Slinging around the ram should be safe, they're top heavy so you want to lift from as high as possible and let it hang like a pendulum.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
it kind of looks like a round ram Bridgeport, not quite as big, think its about 1600 lbs. Thinking of wrapping straps around the ram and placing it in the back of a utility truck......we`ll see. I dont have much help available to me at work......the crew that drives the truck and trailers is "busy" for "weeks" I was told...........keep in mind I work for a municipality...........
Thanks for the help
Thanks given by:
(12-18-2012, 06:00 AM)monkers Wrote: ...keep in mind I work for a municipality...

Generally a case of beer finds an opening in their busy schedule!

I have a Kondia Mill, which is a little beefier than a BP and I placed a sling beneath the ram (either side of the turrett) and lifted it without issues. Crank the knee all the way down and the table all the way back.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Well I think there should be at least two, then there will be someone to call for the ambulanceThumbsup Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(12-18-2012, 06:00 AM)monkers Wrote: it kind of looks like a round ram Bridgeport, not quite as big, think its about 1600 lbs. Thinking of wrapping straps around the ram and placing it in the back of a utility truck......we`ll see. I dont have much help available to me at work......the crew that drives the truck and trailers is "busy" for "weeks" I was told...........keep in mind I work for a municipality...........
Thanks for the help

Got any pictures of that mill that you could post?

Ed
Thanks given by:
No pics, didn't happen.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(12-18-2012, 08:43 AM)Mayhem Wrote:
(12-18-2012, 06:00 AM)monkers Wrote: ...keep in mind I work for a municipality...

Generally a case of beer finds an opening in their busy schedule!

I have a Kondia Mill, which is a little beefier than a BP and I placed a sling beneath the ram (either side of the turrett) and lifted it without issues. Crank the knee all the way down and the table all the way back.

I have found a case of beer to find many openings thought impossible
John
Thanks given by:
(12-18-2012, 05:05 PM)doubleboost Wrote: I have found a case of beer to find many openings thought impossible
John

Beer, an amazing elixir. Happyyes

Ed
Thanks given by:
Got it moved into my shop at work, inverted the head, lowered the knee, moved the table back, strapped it into the back of my utiility truck, covered the head with plastic. Here are a couple shots, Ill have some more in the future, needs a good cleaning, and a paint job.....lol.........

[Image: 2012-12-18_14-53-42_790.jpg]
[Image: 2012-12-18_14-53-54_121.jpg]
[Image: 2012-12-18_14-54-13_770.jpg]
[Image: 2012-12-18_14-54-40_825.jpg]
[Image: 2012-12-18_14-54-57_208.jpg]

Like I said, need a good cleaning, whoever painted it last was less then careful.....minor rust, hasnt been run in about 2 years. The machinist at this shop retired 2 years ago, and they are not filling the position.......Has some tooling also.
Thanks given by: