First Chips
My Clausing 8520 is finally up and running. Upgraded to a 1 HP motor when the 1/2 HP original would not run.

3/16 HSS 2 flute cutter 390 RPM .130 deep. I am a happy camper. Thumbsup

"Billy G" Big Grin

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
Congrats Bill!

Looks like you're amking the aluminum face plate for the guy I sent your way. How are you holding onto that? Why the wood for parallels?

Also, 390rom for an end mill that size sounds awfully slow, even if it is a HSS tool.
Thanks given by:
Well done on getting it up and running. There will be no stopping you now...
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Ken, my v-blocks were too big. I made these from hardwood. It's aluminum so it will present no problems. They held well for that slot. The rest of this faceplate is just holes and tapping. Done deal tomorrow.

Mayhem, you got that right. This has been a long time in the works

One more thing Ken, if this was steel, only a good set of blocks would hold. Bob is comming tomorrow to fit the last 4 holes. Thanks for the sending him my way.

"Billy G" Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Billy,
What a great start Smiley-signs107 Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Nice work Bill, and congrats on the new mill up and running.

Going to make a few wooden parallels myself shortly,, handy for some things.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanx guys. Those are not really parallels. It is a 3 inch square with a 1 1/2 inch hole drilled in the center. Then it is cut in half. They hold on the 1 1/2 inch spiggot on the back of the faceplate. Poor mans v-blocks.

"Billy G" Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(12-20-2012, 05:55 PM)PixMan Wrote: 390rom for an end mill that size sounds awfully slow, even if it is a HSS tool.
Ken, that struck me too! But after trying to calculate the sfm for a 3/16 end mill my head started hurting.

Bill, you musta been cranking real slooow for that cut.Jawdrop
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Yes the RPM was slow and so was my hand cranking. Did it that way because I ead not completely sure of the mill capability yet. That was a big jump in motor size from 1/2 to 1 HP. Everything is fine now.

"Billy G" Big Grin
Thanks given by:
Well I think it is always best to start off slow. Once one has a feeling for the machine then speed up (if you want too) Thumbsup
There is no real need for speed, there's no race Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: