Annealed 4140
What is annealed 4140 good for? Does it machine well? I got 3' of 3/4" to fill out an Enco order to get the free shipping and vaguely remember reading that 4140 is good for certain applications and machines reasonably well, but I don't trust my memory so I'm looking for information and advise on using it.

Thanks,
Ed
Thanks given by:
There's usually some good info at Speedy Metals, here's what they have to say:
http://www.speedymetals.com/information/Material42.html

The index to their library:
http://www.speedymetals.com/information/...lframe.htm
Thanks given by: EdK
I've found 4140 great to machine, gives beautiful finish, no tear out as you get with mild steel.
The link says you need to preheat to weld, I've never, use a low hydrogen rod as 7018 or mig. Will harden in the weld zone though if you need to machine after welding.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Are you going to be turning it or miling it, Ed?

It does machine very nicely, I love plowing through it in either way. It makes nice chips and leaces a shiny finish! Also, it doesn't work harden like 316 or 304 stainless steel does so easily.
4140 is very nice to machine Ed, I think you'll like it. If you are used to machining low carbon steels, you'll find that most tool steels will machine yield a much better surface finish, they just take a bit longer to machine. The barrel for my Steven's is 4140 pre-hard (Rc32) and I've never used that before. Hopefully it won't be too painful.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
(01-06-2013, 10:06 PM)PixMan Wrote: Are you going to be turning it or miling it, Ed?

It does machine very nicely, I love plowing through it in either way. It makes nice chips and leaces a shiny finish! Also, it doesn't work harden like 316 or 304 stainless steel does so easily.

I'll be turning it.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Turning it into what Ed?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Hopefully not just chips.
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(01-07-2013, 08:23 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Turning it into what Ed?

A part for the indicator holder for my QCTP. It doesn't need to be 4140 but since I bought some, I thought I'd get some experience machining it.

Ed

Thanks given by:
What kind of turning tools do you have, Ed? I have some GREAT steel turning inserts I could send you to try. If you have insert holders just let me know what they are and I'll happily send you some inserts.
Thanks given by: