More New Tool Holders
I got six of these from the brown truck guy yesterday. I got sick of having to remove a tool from the tool holder to use another tool. I bought these from CDCO Tools, where I've bought all of my spare tool holders. The first couple of batches I got from them were excellent quality. The previous batch I got was OK. This batch is somewhat borderline OK so it's probably the last batch I'll purchase from that company. I'll try toos4cheap next time even though they're more than twice the cost.

Ed

Thanks given by:
You could always line up a pile of bar stock and mass produce a big set for yourself...Bob

This might get the ball rolling :)
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f65/making...vy-168866/
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
(06-12-2013, 05:57 PM)aametalmaster Wrote: You could always line up a pile of bar stock and mass produce a big set for yourself...Bob

Hi Bob. Good to see you on the forum.

Yup, that's certainly another option. Maybe after I get my power feed installed on the mill. That would make the job much easier, or at least less boring.

Ed
Thanks given by: aametalmaster
Ed,

I've bought about 250 of the $8 AXA blocks from CDCO and have never had a problem, other than the set screws, with any of them.
jack
Thanks given by:
Thanks Ed.
Anyway the link is a nice setup...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
(06-12-2013, 06:11 PM)the penguin Wrote: Ed,

I've bought about 250 of the $8 AXA blocks from CDCO and have never had a problem, other than the set screws, with any of them.

Jack,

Wow! 250 of them. I guess I would have to say I've only had a couple of problems with the CDCO tool holders. What I see is a lot of burrs and the slot milled for the tool shaft is a very rough finish. One of them had the height adjustment nut with the thread cut at an angle so it wobbled like crazy. The very first ones I bought from CDCO were very nicely machined, even better than the ones that came with my Phase II QCTP kit. The quality just seems to get a little worse each time I order a batch. They still work with a little TLC so I guess I shouldn't complain, especially for the price.

Ed
Thanks given by:
DaveJ did the build here http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthrea...2#pid20062
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(06-12-2013, 06:20 PM)DaveH Wrote: DaveJ did the build here http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthrea...2#pid20062
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Yup, I know about that thread but those are vastly different tool holders than what I need.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-12-2013, 06:19 PM)EdK Wrote: The very first ones I bought from CDCO were very nicely machined, even better than the ones that came with my Phase II QCTP kit. The quality just seems to get a little worse each time I order a batch.

Ed

For what it's worth, that has been my experience as well Ed. Next go round I'll try buying from tools4cheap also, just so I can compare for myself.

It's disappointing that the CDCO holders have gone downhill, judging from the last order I got. The stock to make them myself would cost me over $8 each. 17431
Willie
Thanks given by:
Hi Ed,
Good to see you getting a collection going.
I bought my tool post pre internet days and had a lot of money in it which I wouldn't get back if I sold it, thats the only reason I made mine. If I was starting now I would be buying through CDCO at $9 each.

Dave
Thanks given by: