Spindexer Improvement
There have been a number of posts on several different forums that show how to go about squaring up the base on a typical import 5-C "Spindexer" to the center line of it's bore. This makes it much easier to align the tool with the table travel of your machine. Or you can simply clamp it into your machine vice and be ready to go. (Assuming your vice is already indicated inline.)

Here is but one way of going about it, as an example:
http://www.modelenginemaker.com/index.php?topic=1427.0

This is only about how I went about setting up my own spindex in my mill to machine the sides of the base. Do a Google search and you'll find other ways of building a better mousetrap, I'm sure.

The painted sides of the base obviously need to go.

I mounted my ground lathe test bar between centers and adjusted it until a DTI showed no deflection in either the X or Z axis.

Then I removed the test bar from the centers and installed it in the spindex with the proper 5-C collet. I also made a bushing to fit between the back end of the test bar and the spindle bore to keep it centered. Put the bar and spindex back between the centers with the base plate UP.

I supported the body of the spindex with a machinist jack and leveled the bottom of the base before clamping it down. Run a DTI over the base plate until it shows level. That will keep the cuts on the sides of the base square to the bottom of the base. A few light cuts on the sides will remove the paint and Bondo and square them up to the bore center line.

I spent the greatest amount of time adjusting the screw jack and hold down clamps to get the base secured to the machine table without putting the spindex spindle in a bind. I had to keep going back and forth between the screw jack underneath and the two clamps above. A little too much pressure from any one of them and the spindle would start to bind. I just kept at it until everything was tight and the spindle turned freely. Another check with the DTI verified that the base remained level.

It turned out the bottom of the base and the front surface were already true to the spindle. The sides of the base were tapered however and had a lot more "Bondo" on them than I expected. After the layer of filler had been removed, the base was still wider at the front than in the rear. But after a few light cuts on the sides, a machinists square told me I was good to go. Good enough for Government work anyway, as they say.

An hour's worth of set-up time to make a couple of cuts that takes 5 minutes to do. Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by: EdK , arvidj
Nice work Willie
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: Highpower
I'll have to look at one of the other methods since I don't own a test bar or dividing head. Thanks for the write-up though. It gives me an idea of what's involved in getting the sides parallel with the spindle axis. Thumbsup

Ed

EDIT: thanks for the link to modelenginemaker. That shows a way to do it with tools I have available.
Thanks given by:
Great write up of your procedure Willie.
I'm a little confused about-

(06-16-2013, 11:54 PM)Highpower Wrote: I also made a bushing to fit between the back end of the test bar and the spindle bore to keep it centered. Put the bar and spindex back between the centers with the base plate UP.

If you made a bushing to fit between the spindle bore and test bar, how did you tighten the collet with the collet closer?

Or have I totally misunderstood. 17428
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(06-17-2013, 05:49 AM)EdK Wrote: EDIT: thanks for the link to modelenginemaker. That shows a way to do it with tools I have available.

That is why I suggested a Google search Ed. I'm sure there are plenty of different ways to skin that cat....... errrrrrr, spindexer. Big Grin

It's funny, because that post on modelenginemaker is what prompted me to square up the sides on my own spindex. But at the time, I didn't have a piece of round bar big enough to pass through the spindle to clamp it down like that. So I had to use what I had on hand and came up with my own "Rube Goldberg" set-up instead. Rotfl
Willie
Thanks given by:
(06-17-2013, 08:38 AM)Highpower Wrote:
(06-17-2013, 05:49 AM)EdK Wrote: EDIT: thanks for the link to modelenginemaker. That shows a way to do it with tools I have available.

That is why I suggested a Google search Ed. I'm sure there are plenty of different ways to skin that cat....... errrrrrr, spindexer. Big Grin

It's funny, because that post on modelenginemaker is what prompted me to square up the sides on my own spindex. But at the time, I didn't have a piece of round bar big enough to pass through the spindle to clamp it down like that. So I had to use what I had on hand and came up with my own "Rube Goldberg" set-up instead. Rotfl

I did do the Google thing but only came up with this one, which is not as good as the one you linked to.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/view...=4&t=88211

Thanks again.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(06-17-2013, 05:55 AM)stevec Wrote: Great write up of your procedure Willie.
I'm a little confused about-

(06-16-2013, 11:54 PM)Highpower Wrote: I also made a bushing to fit between the back end of the test bar and the spindle bore to keep it centered. Put the bar and spindex back between the centers with the base plate UP.

If you made a bushing to fit between the spindle bore and test bar, how did you tighten the collet with the collet closer?

Or have I totally misunderstood. 17428

Sorry Steve, that was a poor description. I don't speak well English a lot of the time. Slaphead

What I should have said, was a sleeve that slid over the OD of the test bar, and into the ID of the collet closer tube. You can't see it in the picture because I accidentally pushed it in too far, and I didn't want to tear down the whole set-up again to fish it back out again. Blush
I hope that makes more sense.

It was just a filler piece to help keep the test bar centered in the back end. Probably not very accurate, but it prevented any major movement between the bar and the tube and it worked well enough for my amateur needs.
Willie
Thanks given by: stevec
(06-17-2013, 08:45 AM)EdK Wrote: I did do the Google thing but only came up with this one, which is not as good as the one you linked to.

http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/view...=4&t=88211

Thanks again.

Ed

You need to work on your Google'Fu Ed. Rotfl

Here is another one: http://www.chaski.org/homemachinist/view...24&t=92143
Willie
Thanks given by: EdK
Willie,
Very nicely shown Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: Highpower