Nikcole Mini System
Anybody have any experience with the Nikcole mini system grooving tools?

http://www.victornet.com/tools/Nickcole-...m/162.html

I need a tool to make grooves and don't need anything real large. Something for o-rings and snap rings.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(07-09-2013, 07:23 PM)EdK Wrote: Anybody have any experience with the Nikcole mini system grooving tools?

http://www.victornet.com/tools/Nickcole-...m/162.html

I need a tool to make grooves and don't need anything real large. Something for o-rings and snap rings.

Ed

Hi Ed,

I use one all the time in my Cnc Okuma (it lives in station #9) and they're great!

Whether it be a one off, or a production run, they get the job done!

One tool can handle a wide range of groove insert widths as well, so it's a very economic solution for any of your grooving requirements.

Later,
Russ
Thanks given by: EdK
I grind a HSS cutter to suit the grove. Unless your doing production runs you'll never have the right insert for the one snap ring or o ring grove you need.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thumbsup
Very happy with mine! I've used it for snap rings, o-rings, and threadcutting. You can thread real close to a shoulder!

Regards,
Bob
bobm4360, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
(07-09-2013, 08:56 PM)f350ca Wrote: I grind a HSS cutter to suit the grove. Unless your doing production runs you'll never have the right insert for the one snap ring or o ring grove you need.

Hi Greg, I don't understand how only the correct size insert is available for just doing production work and no one else, but, there are many sizes available for the system starting as narrow as. 019" wide. By the time you get out your HSS blank and fire up the grinder, he would have his groove all done with that system.

Now, having said that, and considering time is a relative thing, only you can determine if the additional cost of the tool is worth the time saved. Once the investment is made however, the time savings will be greatly appreciated................ every single time!

Best Regards,
Russ
Thanks given by:
Sorry, didn't get that across very well. They're a great system of someone like yourself Russ who is cutting dozens of groves over and over and therefore can stock a good range of inserts. I might need one grove with an odd width, I can't afford $16.90 for the insert that may never get used again, (and I'd probably never find it if I did need it again)
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
I'm with Greg on these inserts as well as carbide inserts in general. They are ideal for running a larger number of parts, but not economical or practical for the home machinist. In addition, they are easily damaged by a less experienced operator. High speed steel is more versatile, economical and forgiving than carbide in the home shop. That said, I do use carbide. I have a selection of carbide end mills, a carbide face mill for my mill and a set of insert turning tools for the lathe that I use for roughing. The turning tools are not very useful with Hardinge because it lacks the power required to use them effectively, all it takes is one stall and the insert is toast.

Tom

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Good points from both perspectives. Sign0087
Willie
Thanks given by:
(07-10-2013, 10:33 AM)Highpower Wrote: Good points from both perspectives. Sign0087

I agree Willie. Tough decision but I went ahead and ordered the kit. I hate grinding tools, probably because I suck at it. Bleh

Ed
Thanks given by:
(07-10-2013, 04:43 PM)EdK Wrote:
(07-10-2013, 10:33 AM)Highpower Wrote: Good points from both perspectives. Sign0087

I agree Willie. Tough decision but I went ahead and ordered the kit. I hate grinding tools, probably because I suck at it. Bleh

Ed

Ed,

You won't regret your decision buying that kit. Keep the tool loaded in a holder on center and leave it that way. Whenever you need a groove, pop in your insert and go to town.

Simple rule of thumb for grooving. If you do not have an insert that is full width (from the ones supplied with the kit), use one small enough to step over half the width of the insert.

Ex: .050" wide groove - use a .035" wide and step over .015" to finish.
You should NOT use the .043" wide (in the kit) and step over .007".

Always try to step over at least half the width of the insert and it will keep the side walls straight.

Best Regards,
Russ