alpha/numeric stamps
Hiya Folks,
Working on a project that I would like to stamp markings on. Where in this world can a set of quality alpha/numeric stamps be procured? (surely not HF)
Thx, Alan
Thanks given by:
(03-14-2012, 11:58 AM)miner49r Wrote: Hiya Folks,
Working on a project that I would like to stamp markings on. Where in this world can a set of quality alpha/numeric stamps be procured? (surely not HF)
Thx, Alan
I have several old sets of stamps 1/4 to 1/2 inch high, I wanted some smaller stamps, found that CTC tools in china has them at a reasonable price. I ordered a set to see what quality these Chinese stamps were, turns out they are made in Germany by that division (CTC isw supposedly european owned with a German as operations manager) The stamps are very nice high quality and most reasonably priced. I think my smallest set is 1mm anyway so small I have problems reading them with my glasses on(reading). They are veru uniform in size and do an excellent job. Like I said reasonable enough that I bought a set in all the sizes they offer. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
thousand of tools+tooling pieces 40 yrs of collecting
Thanks given by:
I believe these are made in the USA for about $25 for a set.

http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMKAN...&PMCTLG=01

Ed
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom & Ed,
Hand cut, machine made, heavy duty, economy are the descriptions I was finding everywhere. But rarely did anyone state what material the stamps were made of, if they were hardened, or what materials the stamps could be used on.

The prices from CTC and Enco are comparable. I decided to go with the Yound Bros. stamps from Enco.
http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INSRIT?PARTP...PJ505-1436

CTC's shipping is three times greater than Enco and I can attest that it takes three to four weeks to get anything from CTC.

Alan
Thanks given by:
I've used (and used up) lots of Young Brothers and Hansen stamps over the years. Both are pretty decent.

Tom, I don't see how you see those 1mm stamps! I couldn't.
Thanks given by:
(03-14-2012, 09:03 PM)Tony Wells Wrote: I've used (and used up) lots of Young Brothers and Hansen stamps over the years. Both are pretty decent.

Tom, I don't see how you see those 1mm stamps! I couldn't.

I think they are 1 mm I may be wrong but they sure are tiny, when getting from CTC i usually purchased them along with something else to make the shipping more reasonable. the #s + letters are nice + crisp + clear which helps, I have not really used them yet other than to test them + a stamping fixture that I made but it looks to me like the will outlast me by many years. tom

I further checked CTC website the stamps are made from carbon steel and are case hardened, my general impression is that they are suprerior to the sets I have that I purchased some 40 yrs ago and one set I inherited that are at least 80 yrs old.
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
Thanks given by:
Well, I guess jewelers use smaller stamps, but they also use a loupe. The smallest set I have is 3/32". I have to use a small hammer on them. It seems (with me anyway, I like a large hammer), that after a bit of use, any depressed portion of the stamp tends to fill in with material, and messes up the impression until I pick it out with a scribe of something.
Thanks given by:
(03-14-2012, 08:34 PM)miner49r Wrote: Thanks Tom & Ed,
But rarely did anyone state what material the stamps were made of, if they were hardened, or what materials the stamps could be used on.

Alan

From the Young Bros. web site.

"All of our steel stamps are made with carbon tool steel. They're tough enough to keep on stamping long after other stamps lose their face. Young Bros. Stamps will mark material up to 50 on the Rockwell C Scale. We use a special heat treatment so they won't shatter under stress. Each stamp is manufactured to our high standards right here in the U.S.A."

Ed
Thanks given by:
(03-14-2012, 11:13 PM)Tony Wells Wrote: Well, I guess jewelers use smaller stamps, but they also use a loupe. The smallest set I have is 3/32". I have to use a small hammer on them. It seems (with me anyway, I like a large hammer), that after a bit of use, any depressed portion of the stamp tends to fill in with material, and messes up the impression until I pick it out with a scribe of something.

I had another look at those small stamps and yes they are 1mm and damn they are tiny, I have a very tiny hammer and another head I need to put a handle on thats even smaller. I tried the 1mm out today and they do make a nice clear impression, I don't know if I will ever use them on a project but if I ever need them I have them. tom
Logan 10x26" lathe
SIEG 12x40" lathe
RongFU 45 clone mill
6" import band saw
Baldor Grinder
Thanks given by:
This thread has gone on without me. Somehow I stopped getting notified. Hmmm.

The Young Bros. stampes arrived the other day and I used them to mark a piece of hot roll sheet. They seem to be holding up pretty well over a set I bought from HF many years ago.
I must remind myself to hold them firmly and strike hard the first time because it's hard to get a second shot at it. Big Grin

Alan
Thanks given by: