boring bar inserts
can anyone tell me what inserts fit this bar, I purchased it off ebay and it didn't come with any inserts I have a bunch of tng 332 but they won't work in it because of the angle upturned angle of the insert seat.

I checked with my local supplier but they couldn't tell me what would work

the insert that is in the bar cuts fine but is too thin to work without some sort of shim under it as its a 322 I believe.

dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
David,

Here you go.

http://www.travers.com/45963-24-523-075

http://www.toolmex.com/Products/custom/T...=6-939-173

http://www.toolmex.com/part/6-939-173htt.../6-939-173

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/00671172

http://www.toolcribdepot.com/webshop/Car.../CN938.asp

It appears to be a very common boring bar so I'm kind of surprised your local supplier had no clue. 17428

Ed
Thanks given by:
thanks for the Info Ed looks like I need to either get some shims or some chip breakers to take up the slack in the screw. the day I had it in the store they were kinda busy and I just sort of pushed it to the back burner till your conversation about parting tools so I figured why not ask someone here.

Thanks given by:
(07-25-2013, 05:08 AM)EdK Wrote: It appears to be a very common boring bar so I'm kind of surprised your local supplier had no clue. 17428

Ed

Unfortunately, up here in "the land of you can't get that here" ALL local suppliers are clueless. Bash
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
knowing that I have the correct inserts that fit the bar and not wanting to spend 12 dollars in shipping for a 3 dollar chip breaker, I just took on of the tpg 222 inserts I have and turned it upside down and clamped it on top of the 322, there is no hole in the bar for a shim screw.

DA

Thanks given by:
That's a common boring bar, but I still don't understand the design. It appears that as you tighten the screw it would naturally push the insert out of the pocket. Unless of course it's a left hand threaded screw.

I have two solid carbide boring bars that take TPG/TPU 22x size inserts. They are old Valenite VNCD 7462 and VNCD 7463. The bars use a clamp that fastens via a screw coming up from the bottom of the bar, to reduce chances of chips wrapping around the fasteners.

[Image: 422322392_photobucket_39768_.jpg]

I'm usually well versed in carbide insert tooling, but your photo of your boring bar has me confused. Your photo shows an insert clamped with no shim/chipbreaker on top. There does appear to be something strange under the insert though, and the insert seems a bit small on the I.C. size for that pocket. What am I getting wrong here?
Thanks given by:
David,

Maybe you could post a closeup of the insert pocket. That might help.

Ed
Thanks given by:
dallen,

I can help on the chipbreaker for your boring bar. I have two turning tools that take TPG/TPU 32x size inserts. I only use them (rarely) for the Valenite TPG322 grade 670 (cermet) inserts I have, and my holders use a similar chipbreaker that has a hole in them. This one is solid carbide, and I can't use it anyhow.

[Image: IMG_1909-r_zpsbfcbee16.jpg]

Just PM me the mailing address to send it to, and I'll get it out to you on Monday. It'll go via 1st Class snail mail, no charge. BTW, this chipbreaker measures approximately .522" across the tips, and is .093" thick. Will that fit?
Thanks given by:
For future reference,
In 1990 My Dad went to Poland to meet some family and filled his pockets with Eastern block tooling, to this day, my "goto" turning tool is one of the tools he brought back with him, now heavily modified, it is the same brand as that marked on the boring bar above,

The convention with this brand is for the rim of the locking screws to be marked with a series of axially aligned dashes when a left hand thread is used and if no marking is present then it's a right hand thread screw.

I don't know what the brand name is, or where they are made(I suspect an old eastern block or communist country), but my old ones work well and the only complaint is that after many years of industrial service the hex key holes do strip out a bit, but at least they had another in the thread end accessible from the through hole underneath the tool.

So yes this boring bar has a left hand thread which pulls the tip into the socket quite well.

Good ol' Dad brought back a bucket full of tips and chipbreakers, the chipbreakers seemed to run out first but wasn't a big problem as I use a smaller tip with the front edge ground down to a suitable angle.

At the time I was amazed that after 50 years of the iron curtain all of the tools brought back used readily available ISO tip designs.

Regards Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by:
(07-27-2013, 08:19 AM)PixMan Wrote: I'm usually well versed in carbide insert tooling, but your photo of your boring bar has me confused. Your photo shows an insert clamped with no shim/chipbreaker on top. There does appear to be something strange under the insert though, and the insert seems a bit small on the I.C. size for that pocket. What am I getting wrong here?

I didn't notice the "strange thing" under the tip but knowing that this brand regularly use replaceable tip socket seats(shims), I assumed that the "strange thing" was something popped in there to simulate the correct tip height in lieu of a shim, The seats/shims are very hard and protect the tool very well, probably why I'm still using the same holder twenty three years later, having said that I haven't seen it since January,

I haven't thought too much about it being lost, What? It's not lost... I just haven't seen it lately, as I have been somewhat incapacitated, all of a sudden I am very worried... where is it??? My precious... My Precious...

My precious will turn up (Pardon the pun) sooner or later... Won't it? C'mon guys i need some reassurance here...

I think I need my Blanky and some warm cocoa...

Regards
Rick
Whatever it is, do it today, Tomorrow may not be an option and regret outlasts fatigue.
Thanks given by: