Two additions to my shop tooling.
Over the past month I have been working on acquiring two new tools to just about fill out my shop. First is a carbide tool grinder from ENCO that I have converted to use Aluminum Oxide stones for grinding HSS and the second is a Delta 6" x 48" belt sander.

I picked up the grinder from ENCO and like all Chinese manufactured tools it needed some work to get it into shape. I had read and viewed many of the video's on YouTube regarding tuning up these grinders and I have to say this one was in pretty good shape. The trunions needed to be milled because the bolts which tightened them down did not line up with the arcs cast into them. Now they swivel nice and freely. The guards around the stones needed to have thier radius enlarged to accept Norton 6" stones about .040". The label on the front of the grinder said "Only use 6" stones", however the stones which came with the machine measured less than 6". The valve for the water cup came broken in the package and ENCO had no replacement part. They would only take the whole unit back and replace it. Since shipping was $70.00 I decided to keep it and fix it myself. The valve is strange in that it is threaded 1/4" pipe thread on one end and metric threads on the other. I am making an adapter to use the metric threaded plastic hose with a U.S. standard brass valve. Here are a couple pictures of the finished grinder. Oh, total cost of finished project was $350.00 for grinder including shipping, $300.00 for two Aluminum Oxide stones from Norton through MSC, steel for stand and casters was recycled material.

Here are some pictures of the grinder and stand:        

The second project as the cleanup of a 1945 Delta 6" x 48" belt sander. I found the sander on Craig's List in a nearby town. The guy had a huge garage full of machine tools, had recently moved from a farm to town and needed to clear some space. The sander only had some slightly damaged parts, rust and the look that it had not been run in a long time. I took it apart, removed all of the rust, replaced the lower drive bearings, the local bearing shop had to get them from Tymkin for the cost of $68.00, fabricated a missing piece which allows the table to tilt, some grey paint, and built a dolly to move it around on. Total cost in the project, $425.00.

Here are some pictures of the painting stage:        

Here are some pictures of the finished project:            

As some of you who read this Forum a lot may have seen my posting for dimensions for the two horizontal fences used with this sander when you lay it flat. Well a lot of members read the post but no one seems to have on of these so I am moving forward with building the parts from drawings I have created from the exploded parts page of the documentation which came with the sander. Material has been purchased and drawings are complete. Looking forward to building the parts.

M.L.Woy
ml_woy, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
Nice work, and nice finds!!
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by: ml_woy
Nice job, nice machines, and a nice shop! Thumbsup

It looks like you could use a few more welding rigs though.....
Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
Willie
Nice work.

Do you happen to have the item numbers for the wheels you got from MSC?
Arvid,

Try this link.

http://www.mscdirect.com/browse/Abrasive...4288234869

Ed
Thanks given by:
Nice job on the restoration(s). That belt sander sure hasn't changed much over the years. Mine is mid 80's vintage and other than having a disk grinder and an enclosed base, looks pretty much the same. You'll like it, it's a nice belt sander.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
great restoration job Thumbsup looks like you have a great shop as well Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
(08-16-2013, 08:38 PM)EdK Wrote: Arvid,

Try this link.

Ed

Those are the numbers I used Ed however they did not have the 80 grit wheel at that time.
M.L.Woy
Thanks given by:
(08-17-2013, 09:30 AM)ml_woy Wrote:
(08-16-2013, 08:38 PM)EdK Wrote: Arvid,

Try this link.

Ed

Those are the numbers I used Ed however they did not have the 80 grit wheel at that time.
M.L.Woy

Thanks for the link to the page. Guess I need to wait for a MSC sale. They are not as frequent as Enco but they do happen on occasion.

What grits did you buy?
Thanks given by:
My mistake, they had the 60 and 80 but not the 46. So that is what I purchased.
Thanks given by: arvidj