How to Grind a Sheet Metal Drill
Here's a quick video showing how to grind a sheet metal drill, also known as a brad point or spur point drill that will drill perfectly round holes in sheet metal or wood.

Tom

[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by: Micktoon
I didn't know brad point bits could be used to drill sheet metal. Great tip (pun intended)!

Ed
Thanks given by:
Tom,
The people who make Whitney punches are not going to be very happy with you......Rotfl
You make it look so easy, yes I've tried I spend so much time getting even, now the wood spade bits I sharpen no problem.
How do you sharpen your end mills? (hint hint next video) Have you sharpen the spot weld remover drills? I'm thinking these s/m drills would work rather well?
Thanks for sharing your talents! you deserve a You Suck
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
Another great video Tom, Thanks Will have to give this one a try. Been using a step drill on sheet metal this would be a lot better.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Something didn't sound right, but it took a few minutes (ok a hour or so) for me to remember. sheet metal bits are sold with 135 point angle, that and 50 cents might get you a cup of coffee (I don't drink it) But I can see that the pilot style drill like you have would work nicely.
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
Thanks guys.

Ed: Yes, they work great for sheet metal. In wood, if you are going all the way through, you should stop short and finish from the opposite side to get a clean hole all the way through.

OG: Punches are quicker, but more costly. These work just as well in a pinch. Sorry but sharpening end mills require a tool grinder, sharpening them by hand is not practical. It might be possible to sharpen the ends (I've never tried it), but the flutes require a tool grinder.

Greg, I've never been a fan of step drills. They work well, but seem to require a lot more effort than should be needed to drill a simple hole.

Tom
Thanks given by:
Thanks Tom

Two great videos and it looks very straightforward.
I will dig some old drills out and have a play.

Cheers

Paul
paulmo101, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jul 2013.
Thanks given by:
I just inherit a pretty good size collection of drills like that, so I won't have to grind any for awhile. Nice to know they can be used for sheet metal, I never knew that.
Thanks given by:
hi well in the uk you can by drills already that shape will post a pic as i have sum
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Yeah, you can buy them here as well, but that's no fun. Happyno

Tom
Thanks given by: