16° Tangential Tool Holder
After looking at many different versions of the tangential tool holder this is what I made.
The holder is 1" square CRS, the tool is 5/16", ground to a 30° point, roughed on the belt sander and finished on the disc sander, honed quickly on an arkansas stone. I did round the front edge slightly, but only on the arkansas stone, so it is very little. The tool is held at 16° angle to the front, but the tool is straight in line with the axis of the holder, I did not angle it to the right, as most that I have seen are.
The 1/4 -20 allen cap screw is counterbored flush on the left side, it pulls a "round nut" with a chamfer on it against the tool. The hole for the tool was drilled on the mill at a 16° angle and then filed square by hand. It took 45 minutes to file it square, to a snug fit. The hand filing was not a big deal to do at all.
I rabbetted the holder to fit into the QCTP. I tried it out on some 3/4" drill rod, it is good hard stuff. The cutter gave a good finish, the best was as a shear cut. I think as I use this tool, it needs a little more round on the point, and will do an even better job.
The deepest cut I took so far was .040", the tool was very rigid . It was an effortless cut on the SB13.
Here are some pictures. Thanks, Larry

LJP, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2013.
Thanks given by:
Nice job on the tool Larry. I've got one for my mini-lathe but could never get good results from it. Probably operator error though. Bash

Ed
Thanks given by:
The one I just built for my 7x works great. I also used 1"x1" CRS bar, and made it to fit my OXA QCTP. Haven't used it much, but happy with the rigidity. Will soon try a small radius on the cutting tip.
What prompted 16 deg?
Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
Very nice Larry - a very useful tool to have, nicely made Thumbsup
Smiley-signs107
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(08-29-2013, 02:39 PM)chucketn Wrote: The one I just built for my 7x works great. I also used 1"x1" CRS bar, and made it to fit my OXA QCTP. Haven't used it muck, but happy with the rigidity. Will soon try a small radius on the cutting tip.
What prompted 16 deg?
Chuck

Chuck, the more I looked at different designs, and the more I read from the guys that made them, they thought the angle was not critical. This is not the only 16° holder out there. I wanted to have a good ridgid holder, so this gave me some more "overhang" over the front of the holder.
At first I started to design a left and a right hand tool, but decided to keep the first one simple, and see how it works. It has all worked out well, so now I will probably go ahead with right and left hand tools. Larry
LJP, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2013.
Thanks given by:
Very nicely made DroolDroolDrool
Well presented post
Smiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenanaSmiley-dancenana
This is something I need to make
John
Thanks given by:
Next video project, John?
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
I purchased the Bay-Com Diamond toolholder back when my shop was supporting itself financially. I have ever since thought that it's the best and easiest way to use HSS without having to freehand grind and hone the HS tool.
I'll eventually get around to making some my self for turning away from the headstock etc.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Nicely done Larry. I especially like the clamping system. I used a simple screw system, but the screw head interferes when you try facing.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(08-29-2013, 06:07 PM)stevec Wrote: I purchased the Bay-Com Diamond toolholder back when my shop was supporting itself financially. I have ever since thought that it's the best and easiest way to use HSS without having to freehand grind and hone the HS tool.
I'll eventually get around to making some my self for turning away from the headstock etc.

Same here. It's a great tool, but I'd rather make a similar one that faces straight out so I can use it for left or right cuts. They want you to buy L and R versions, which have their uses, but it seems like the OP's design will cover the majority. That said, the bay tool holder does work great.
Thanks given by: