drill chuck refit
hi all well i was given a drill chuck the other day its in good order but you all gnaw me by gnaw i ant happy till i have had it a part so i did sum pics of haw two right the first thing is to clean off the top of the chuck and remove any raised bits where the chuck key goes then set the jaws midway then in this cack i used a socket as a sparser at the jaw end and i used two peaces of brass on the chuck body in the vice and press the outer body of the chuck off once off the driving ring for the jaws is split in two and it just cums off on the chuck body their sum times but not all ways the place where the jaws go is numbered if not you can put your own markings on on the jaws themselves i use a diamond file two mark them up IE just cut 1 to 3 notches in the bottom of them then give the hole lot a good clean re grease the jaws and the driving ring and set the jaws midway once more then peres the lot back together right pics

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Nice work Bob, often those chucks one finds at sales just need to be dismantled and cleaned/greased.
sasquatch, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Jul 2012.
Thanks given by:
That brings back good memories when a old friend / machinist says "ahhh you kids, I'll show you how to fix the thing" and he did! R.I.P. Greg.
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
Nice job Bob. Had one here that would not come apart. Think I finally tossed it. Soaked it heated it then finally tossed it.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: