just the job
HI been meaning to make one of these for a long time so I made this today.
I started with a cheap 13MM socket. I then cut off the driving end with a cutting disc in my Dremel. I then dressed up the socket end. I then got a piece of 8MM rod then split one end to go around the socket. I then lifted the end of the rod by 8MM then i silver soldered the socket to the splayed end. Dressed it all up, put some heat shrink on the handle then painted the socket end red. right pics

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Nice job - the red paint should take it out of the "self-hiding Spanner" category! Only thing I'd add would be a chain attaching it to the tailstock, no chance of it escaping then! Big Grin

I've used heatshrink for a handle covering quite a few times , found it makes them a lot more pleasant to use on cold mornings - chilly in these English Sheds, ain't it? I've used different colours (red, yellow, green, blue etc.) and painted the matching nuts to match so I can tell which one I want quickly - otherwise I stil end up searching through the spanners etc.!

Did you use that blowlamp for silver soldering? Paraffin or petrol as fuel? My grandpa passed a couple on to my dad, maybe I can pry one from his shed if it'll be hot enough for Serious Soldering?

Sockets can be pretty useful things, cut off the drive end (like you've done) and silver solder the bi-hex into a tube, slide a suitable piece of greasy hex bar in and you have a sliding/extending coupling for jackshafts etc - John Stevenson wrote this up on HSM a while back (in the "shop made tools" thread - well worth taking a week to go through!) when making transmission shafts, and you can use 'em as a coupling to a socket-set universal joint to get an articulated shaft if you need one :)

Dave H. (the other one)
Rules are for the obedience of fools, and the guidance of wise men...
(Douglas Bader)
Thanks given by:
HI i use a paraffin blow lamp for all my silver soldering i have seen petrol blow lamps but the way petrol prices are gowning up wood not be able to run one paraffin is hotter than the D.I.Y blow torches
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Bob,

Nice done and shown, I have to admit I much prefer handles and levers, than having to find the right spanner (wrench) all the time.

Paraffin blow lamps, they can get exciting, especially when the paraffin isn't vaporized and a 6 foot flaming jet comes out. Big GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig GrinBig Grin

Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: