Gas Not Getting To Nozzle
I got all set up to practice some welding and decided I better test for gas flow. I tried listening for the gas hiss but didn't hear any. I assumed it was because of the welder noise so I got a candle and lit it and aimed the nozzle at the flame and it didn't move a hair. So definitely no gas getting out of the nozzle. No wonder the welds I had tried when I first got the gas were full of porosity.
I had set the flow to 20 while I had the trigger engaged and it would go up a bit when I released the trigger so I know there is gas getting into the welder. I'm stumped as to where to look next. 17428

Any help would be appreciated.

Ed
Thanks given by:
so you are mig welding? what type of welder? some will have a solenoid to shut the gas off, cheapy units have just a mechanical valve in the torch.
oldgoaly, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jun 2013.
Thanks given by:
time to break out the book and follow the gas path, also make sure the bottle isn't empty, no telling how many times thats bit someone on the butt like a rattlesnake.
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
First thing that comes to mind Ed is a setting on the welder. Mine is processor controlled if I set it for flux core wire the solenoid gas valve doesn't operate. Check the manual for a setting or switch.
If thats not the case see if there is a connector that feeds gas to the lead, open it and see if the gas is getting that far. I've had trouble with the cover on a new liner separating and blocking the flow in the lead.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
(09-15-2013, 12:25 PM)oldgoaly Wrote: so you are mig welding? what type of welder? some will have a solenoid to shut the gas off, cheapy units have just a mechanical valve in the torch.

MIG welding. Millermatic 180.

http://www.millerwelds.com/products/mig/...del=M00209

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-15-2013, 12:45 PM)dallen Wrote: time to break out the book and follow the gas path, also make sure the bottle isn't empty, no telling how many times thats bit someone on the butt like a rattlesnake.

No gas path diagram in the manual. If the bottle was empty, I wouldn't be able to set the flow to 20. It's almost full though.

Ed
Thanks given by:
(09-15-2013, 12:48 PM)f350ca Wrote: First thing that comes to mind Ed is a setting on the welder. Mine is processor controlled if I set it for flux core wire the solenoid gas valve doesn't operate. Check the manual for a setting or switch.
If thats not the case see if there is a connector that feeds gas to the lead, open it and see if the gas is getting that far. I've had trouble with the cover on a new liner separating and blocking the flow in the lead.

Thanks Greg. Time to do some exploratory surgery. The warranty has run out on it so no worries about voiding the warranty.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I got it working but I'm not sure exactly what I did to fix it. I took the cover off of the welder and there's not much in there for the gas. Just the gas line and the solenoid. The gas line looked fine and the solenoid seemed to be working based on the sound it was making. I tackled the gun next and took the nozzle, tip and adapter off and looked for any blockage but didn't see any so I just cleaned them up. Next I unplugged the gun from the welder and looked for any blockage. The two O-rings looked fine and could see no blockage so I reassembled it to the welder. I fired up the welder and to my surprise I could feel the gas when I held my hand up to the gun. I reassembled the adapter, tip and nozzle and tried it again and it still seemed to be passing gas. Yikes

I put it all back together and gave it a test and was I surprised by how much nicer the welds are now that I have gas flow. It's like night and day difference. The welds are still not that great but they are a huge improvement to my prior attempts. Ignore the one on the bottom left. It was a misfire. It was my first attempt and I wasn't really positioned right and ended up just spraying down path of ugliness. I only had time to throw down a few beads but with more practice I think I'll finally be able to get some decent welds.

Ed

Thanks given by:
sometimes it the little things that bite us in the ankles.

be sure and get some nozzle jelly, if you don't have some already
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(09-15-2013, 03:08 PM)dallen Wrote: sometimes it the little things that bite us in the ankles.

be sure and get some nozzle jelly, if you don't have some already

David,

Ain't that the truth. After thinking about it I think that even though the O-rings looked good, one of them probably wasn't sealing tightly and when I pushed it back into the welder I got it seated in further and it sealed. That's my best guess anyway.
Oh, and I do have a jar of nozzle gel.

Ed
Thanks given by: