Tom's Techniques
...Common sense machining.

With the help of my son the graphic artist extraordinaire (I didn't pay for all of that college tuition for nothing), I have been designing and building a machining oriented website for some time and it's getting close to its initial release.

The website started out as a simple place to have all of my YouTube videos organized and presented in an meaningful way, but like most of my projects it quickly grew out of control. There will also be a section of project tutorials where drawings for projects I've designed will be available along with complete video tutorials of how to build them from start to finish. They will range from simple lathe and mill projects for the novice, like the set-up blocks I posted here a while back or a set of jack screws, to much more advanced projects for those who like more of a challenge, like a full featured radius cutter and a cut knurling tool. The simple projects will be free, but the more advanced drawing packages will have a nominal charge. Yes, I will be a busy boy.

There will be a rather extensive machining link page that will include pretty much everything in my bookmarks, as well as all of the machining related forums (yes, even that one).

I also envision a shop of some sort, offering machining oriented merchandise like books, tee shirts, reference materials, specialized tools, etc., but I haven't put much thought into that yet.

I guess what I would like to know from you guys, is if there is anything I haven't covered here that you would like to see on such a site. I thought about a page of machining tips and tricks for things too simple to do a video on, but I'm not sure about that one yet. Anything else? Anyone? Anyone?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I don't understand why you would want to create such a website instead of just posting your videos and other stuff here and promoting it the way you already are.

Good luck with it and don't forget us when you get big and famous.

Big Grin
Thanks given by:
(10-08-2013, 11:19 PM)PixMan Wrote: I don't understand why you would want to create such a website instead of just posting your videos and other stuff here and promoting it the way you already are.

Good luck with it and don't forget us when you get big and famous.

Big Grin

The YouTube channel is pretty much useless if you have more than a dozen or so videos. Putting them on my own website will allow me to better categorize them and make them easier to access. I'll still continue to post them here if it'll make you feel better Ken. Thumbsup

Tom
Thanks given by:
You must have WAY too much time on your hands Tom, but it does sound like an interesting project.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by:
Tom,
Just wondering are you looking at it as a "commercial venture"
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Tom,
Sounds like a great idea to me. Another resource is always welcome.
Tutorials, along with drawings and step by step instructions, all gathered and organized in one place would be popular to the many novices out there.
An online " machining course"?
I look forward to seeing the grand opening!
Larry
LJP, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2013.
Thanks given by:
Are you planning on retiring any time soon and need something to fill in the hours???

Of course, I can see your point with youtube and the ability to control the videos but I agree with Ken that it would be nice to link to them from here as well. Are you planning on having a forum/discussion board or is it more a product oriented web site?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Actually Greg, I rarely have time on my hands because there is always some sort of project going on. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. Big Grin

Dave, it will be commercial in the sense that there will be ads on the site as on YouTube and I will be selling some of the more advanced drawing packages, but it's mostly about continuing my YT machining video series. Those videos are a lot of fun to make.

Larry, enlightening the novice is what it's all about. It should be fun.

Darren, although there are no official plans for retirement, it is on the horizon. These things take a lot of time to establish, so I'm just planning ahead. Marty would never allow me to just sit around and collect dust. Happyno

Tom
Thanks given by:
I'm sure she wouldn't Tom! Please pass on my regards to Marty.

So - when is the big launch?
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Hi Tom , I think it sounds like a good idea too, the more info out there the better I say. I take my hat off to you for doing it to.
I think people who have worked in the machine shop trade sometimes forget how massive a subject it is for someone who just wants to make things but who has never been involved in the trade.
Things that seem simple or are just took for granted to a machinist are all new and at best unsure for some people learning in their own shop with used equipment.
I think videos like yours and Johns do an exellent job of showing how to do things and also what is not safe to do. Compared to books seeing it done can let you get a feel for what sounds and looks right.
Keep up the good work Tom and I wish you all the best of luck getting your site up and running.
Cheers Mick.
Micktoon, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by: