Help Drilling A Hole In A Ball
Question 
I have a pair of brass balls that I need to drill holes in. Yikes The balls are 7/16" in diameter and the hole needs to be 3/16" to a depth of about .22". The depth of the hole is not critical. How can I hold this so I can drill the hole?

Thanks,
Ed

Thanks given by:
Ed, the emoticon should have been at the end of the sentence. Yikes

All you need to do is throw the ball in a collet.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 07:46 AM)TomG Wrote: Ed, the emoticon should have been at the end of the sentence. Yikes

Fixed that. Big Grin

Quote:All you need to do is throw the ball in a collet.

Tom

I never thought of that. Chin

I could put a piece of 7/16" rod at the inboard end of the collet to even out the pressure on the collet and to act as a stop for the ball. Sounds like a plan.

Thanks Tom!

Ed
Thanks given by:
well their is several ways to do this if you don't have a Colet chuck put sum bar stock in your lathe say its 20mm long drill threw say 2.5 mm just for daftness say the ball is 10mm OD so drill the end of the bar 10mm by 5mm deep the ball shud be a snug fit if not drill out 10.1 or till you get the ball to fit nice then super glue the ball in place then drill and tap the ball then remove from the chuck and warm it up to remove the ball the hole all the way thew is to help remove the ball or in the mill mack up a v block to hold it in the vice on the mill a another way is to cut threw a nut that the ball fits in to put sum tape on one side of the nut to stop the ball failing threw then put the nut in to the vice on the mill with a parallel under neath and nip the vice up just a nufe to hold the ball and drill that way hope that helps
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Why does your baby brass monkey needs his balls drilled? 17428 Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(11-08-2013, 09:55 PM)stevec Wrote: Why does your baby brass monkey needs his balls drilled? 17428 Rotfl

To lighten the load. Smiley-dancenana

Ed
Thanks given by:
You could put it in a 3 jaw chuck in the lathe
dnavaille, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Aug 2013.
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2013, 07:06 PM)dnavaille Wrote: You could put it in a 3 jaw chuck in the lathe

That would scar it up pretty good so that's not a good option in this instance. Thanks for the suggestion though.

And Welcome to the forum!

Ed
Thanks given by:
...although it would be a good option if you didn't have collets. To keep from scarring the surface all you need to do is put some paper or cardboard under the jaws.

Welcome aboard dnavaille! Drop in over at the introduction section and tell us a bit about yourself. You'll find out in short order that we LOVE pics, so be forewarned. Thumbsup

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(11-09-2013, 07:10 PM)EdK Wrote:
(11-09-2013, 07:06 PM)dnavaille Wrote: You could put it in a 3 jaw chuck in the lathe

That would scar it up pretty good so that's not a good option in this instance. Thanks for the suggestion though.

And Welcome to the forum!

Ed

I have wraps of brass shim for holding delicate bits in the three jaw to prevent this. Even thick cardboard works if you use appropriate machining forces.
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by: