Touch Probe
http://www.vinland.com/Touch-Probe.html
This web site shows the standard concept of the TP, the wire interfaces with the Digital Read Out (DRO) as the probe touches a part on the milling machine the DRO records the 3 Axis measurements of the position.
Now I’m not that sophisticated, I only want to pick up edges of parts or centers of holes and set my mill dials to zero.
I don’t want wires, I want it to be a self contained unit.
I will put two LED’s in the bottom plate, this material lights up quite nicely with LED’s.
I want the LED to light when the contact on balls is broken, not when the circut is closed.
This unit measures 2 “ in diameter and 2” high. I made the battery container and installed in the body (3 LR44’s) 4.5V. Now I need to make the cover for the batteries.
I have a friend working on the electronic to fit in this body.

Attached Files
.jpg   rough turn.JPG (Size: 31.26 KB / Downloads: 192)
.jpg   bat opening (Custom).JPG (Size: 26.63 KB / Downloads: 192)
.jpg   bat holder installed (Custom).JPG (Size: 27.51 KB / Downloads: 193)
.jpg   alum and balls.JPG (Size: 27.42 KB / Downloads: 192)
.jpg   bholder (Custom).JPG (Size: 25.66 KB / Downloads: 192)
.jpg   probe and bat (Custom).JPG (Size: 26.76 KB / Downloads: 192)
.jpg   probe boring (Custom).JPG (Size: 29.28 KB / Downloads: 192)
claudef, proud to be a member of Metalworking Forum since Mar 2012.
Thanks given by:
I'm trying to figure out how this is supposed to work. It seems like it would take quite a bit of movement on the point to break contact on any of the balls. Chin

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
TomG,
Any movement regardless how miniscule it is will break contact.
Thanks given by:
This is interesting Thumbsup
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
Smiley-signs009 It sure is I'll be watching for progress reports Claude. Thumbsup
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
What are you going to use for a probe, a ball? If so, how will you center it on the axis of the shaft? Maybe a three point adjustment on the plate holding the balls?

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Well, I was away all day today so the project stood still. Tomorrow I will make the battery cap then work on the probe.
TomG, yes you are correct, I will be using a ball and there will definatly be a 3 point centering feature. The design for the electronics is complete so I now know that it will fit into the cavity of the probe along with the spring, probe and ball ring. I will post pioctures as progress goes on.
Thanks given by: DaveH
Completed the battery cap today and also turned the probe. Tomorrow installing the pins and then the ball ring.
The design is completed for the integrated circuit, it measures 0.8 "long by 0.3" wide components R1, R2 and C1 will be placed under. It will give a thickness of about 0.3 "with 4 wires coming out.

Attached Files
.jpg   SDC12540 (Custom).JPG (Size: 28.69 KB / Downloads: 120)
.jpg   SDC12548 (Custom).JPG (Size: 27.64 KB / Downloads: 116)
.jpg   SDC12550 (Custom).JPG (Size: 24.08 KB / Downloads: 118)
.jpg   SDC12551 (Custom).JPG (Size: 22.29 KB / Downloads: 117)
.jpg   SDC12557 (Custom).JPG (Size: 23.03 KB / Downloads: 116)
.jpg   SDC12553 (Custom).JPG (Size: 26.04 KB / Downloads: 117)
Thanks given by:
This the schematic of the circut..

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Thanks given by:
claudef,

There's something wrong with that drawing, or I'm misinterpreting it. Pins 4, 5, 9 and 10 are all inputs to NAND gates with nothing driving them so you have floating inputs with the NAND gate outputs driving the LED. Not a good thing. I think those four pins need to be connected to the other NAND gate inputs, pins 1, 2, 12 and 13. 17428
The other thing using that particular IC is that the outputs will likely be fighting each other. It would be better to use an IC with open collector outputs. I would just use a transistor instead of an IC though. Smiley-gen163
Ed
Thanks given by: