Weed Eater cutter mod
I wish to make a modified cutter head for my weed eater. I have several clumps of pampas grass and other tough stuff to cut back before the new growth starts. I know most folks burn them back, but some are not in a good place for that, such as too close to the house, on the property line, in fences and among plants/shrubs I want to keep. Standard weed eater string just doesn’t stand up to the task.
The head I want to make will use either swiveling hard blades or wire cable segments on screw eyes, attached to a hub that will screw onto the driveshaft of the weed eater.
Has anyone made something like this? I need ideas…
Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
I put a 10 inch carbide tooth saw blade on one once. you could almost cut a steel Tee post into with it.

they make heads that have plastic knife fingers on them. but whats the fun in buying one when you can make it better, bigger, more robust.
DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
I've seen blades that are essentially a disc with a chain saw chain welded around the circumference. I've not used one though.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Ya'll can relax, now. I bought a straight shafted brush cutter attachement for my weed eater.
Chuck
Thanks given by:
Chuck, I have a brush cutter attachment for mine and I'm still gonna try Mayhem's approach.
But, I'm also gonna wait 'til I no longer have to snow blow before brush cutting. Rotfl
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Yes, Steve, I agree, no weed wacking while snow blowing, LOL. We're supposed to get an inch or two tonight. I missed the last couple of warmish days to get the job done. Went out today and got a small battery chainsaw and the bush cutter attachment. Got lots of winter storm damage and pampas grass to whip into shape.

Chuck
Thanks given by: