1-2-3 blocks
I would like to know what is the purpose of the holes in 1-2-3 blocks? I am sure they didn't drill them in just because the like the way it looks. Confused
Ben Franklin;
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Thanks given by:
I use the holes to bolt parts to them...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
They also make good spacers to support work or to clamp irregularly shaped parts in the vise...
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
you can bolt them together to give you a angel bracket
krv3000, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Feb 2012.
Thanks given by:
Thanks for the replies folks. While I was getting these replies I did actually find something on my own. Who knows maybe some other guy as dumb as me will come along. Blush

http://rick.sparber.org/123.pdf
Ben Franklin;
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Thanks given by: jroadman
Be careful when you buy them as lots of the inexpensive ones seem to have interesting hole sizes. The tapped holes are fine but the not-tapped holes are the minor diameter of the tapped holes. Therefore a bolt that will screw into the threaded hole will not pass thru the non-tapped holes making 'bolting them together' almost impossible.

I spend an afternoon calling vendors asking if they had 1-2-3 blocks with the non-tapped holes drilled to the clearance size of the tapped holes, not the minor thread size. Most of the vendors were good enough to actually check and were suprised the untapped holes were too small. I finally found what I was looking for at MicroMark. I ordered several sets an they do work the way you would think they should. Alas others who have called and\or ordered since them have reported that what they have received have the minor diameter size holes and are therefore not nearly as useful.
Thanks given by:
(01-31-2014, 10:09 PM)arvidj Wrote: Be careful when you buy them as lots of the inexpensive ones seem to have interesting hole sizes. The tapped holes are fine but the not-tapped holes are the minor diameter of the tapped holes. Therefore a bolt that will screw into the threaded hole will not pass thru the non-tapped holes making 'bolting them together' almost impossible.

I neglected to learn if the blocks are hardened or not. If they are not hardened could you ream the holes to make them the right size?
Ben Franklin;

Thanks given by:
I think it would be too much to ream but you could bore out soft blocks.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
My 123 blocks are quite hard but I managed to open up some of the holes with a Glass Drill.
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
I just received a set of 1-2-3 blocks that were the weekly special from LMS. I was shocked to find the non threaded holes were the minor dia. of the tapped holes. If I had known that I would not have bought them.
I'm now looking for a 3/8" drill for hardened steel to drill out the non-threaded holes. What a stinker!

Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by: