Source for metric set screws?
I need two metric set screws. M4-0.75 x 10mm
No luck finding any in the 0.75mm pitch. Bash

Oddly enough, my tap & die set came equipped with that size though.
Any ideas where I might find some of these screws?

Serves me right for buying tools made in France I suppose. Smiley-signs131
Willie
Thanks given by:
Willie,

No clue on the screws but believe it or not, M4 x .75 dies are available. Just run some M4 x .7 screws through one. The difference in pitch is only about 2 TPI.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
Intentional cross threading? 17428

Well, for 70 cents worth of screws I suppose I wouldn't have much to lose. I'll give it a try. Thanks Tom.

Failing that I think I might drill and re-tap to M5-0.8 rather than spend days/weeks looking for the correct screws. I would have liked to keep things original though.
Willie
Thanks given by:
Willie - what drive method (slot or hex)? I can send you some.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
Funny that when I looked at the available metric thread pitches on my lathe I found that I can single point a 0.75 thread but no setting for 0.70mm
Thanks given by:
Have you checked ACE hardware? In my area they have a large selection of them.

Bob
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2014, 06:19 AM)Mayhem Wrote: Willie - what drive method (slot or hex)? I can send you some.

Thanks Darren, but there is no going back now. Blush

Original slotted screws on top, the right one missing half of the 'head'.
I picked up a couple of 0.7 pitch screws this morning and tried running one through my 0.75 die. (Bottom center.) Major fail. All it did was roll over the crests of the original threads and then began to tear them out.

[Image: screwed.jpg]

So I went to plan "B" and drilled & tapped the housing to M5-0.8 instead. The hex drive screws work sooooo much better since the heads don't spread apart when you twist on them.

[Image: ForceGauge.jpg]
Willie
Thanks given by:
Good to see you got it fixed Willie. That sure is a strange thread. The closest I could find was a 4.5mm x .75 thread.

Ed
Thanks given by:
I've never seen that size on any metric thread chart before. I notice the gauge is made in France though so maybe not a surprise!
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
(02-03-2014, 05:07 PM)EdK Wrote: That sure is a strange thread.

Ed
Smiley-signs064 The problem with "standards" is - there are too many of them!
Willie
Thanks given by: