Thin grooving tools?
What kind of cutting tools are you guys using for thin grooving on the lathe? Snap ring grooves for example. Somewhere between .025" - .040" 17428
Willie
Thanks given by:
I use this system and it's worked out quite well for me. Kind of pricey but you get what you pay for. Smiley-gen163

http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=1495

Ed
Thanks given by:
I grind just my own Willie. It only takes a few minutes to grind whatever size is needed if there isn't already one in the box.

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2014, 12:18 PM)EdK Wrote: I use this system and it's worked out quite well for me. Kind of pricey but you get what you pay for. Smiley-gen163

http://www.metalworkingfun.com/showthread.php?tid=1495

Ed

Well... so much for the search function. Slaphead
Thanks Ed.

I'll ponder that set for awhile. Buy once, cry once? I'm afraid my big bench grinder has been converted over to knife sharpening wheels so I don't have a good way of hogging off 95% of a HSS blank. Remounting the guards and grinding wheels to switch bank and forth would be a pain.

I probably would not use it often but a set like that would be quick and easy to use. Chin All I know is I don't have room for another grinder. Sadno
Willie
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2014, 12:42 PM)Highpower Wrote: ...
Well... so much for the search function. Slaphead

Yup, the search function in this software truly sucks. Sad

Ed
Thanks given by:
I cut a section out of a circular saw blade what has tungsten tips and made my own holder for it you can get several peace's out of the circular blade
mfletch, Try to do the best you can and that's good enough
Thanks given by:
I grind my own from broken HSS taps. Love em for that. That way i am not making a box full of grooving tools from my good square tool blanks. Had an old guy show me that 35 years ago...Bob
Bob Wright
Metal Master Fab
Salem Ohio
Birthplace of the Silver and Deming drill bit.
5 Lathes, SBL Shaper, Lewis Mill, 7 drill presses, 5 welders...
Thanks given by:
The Nicole set Ed linked to is very good. We use them all the time in our Cnc Okuma lathe.

The initial cost may be a bit hard to accept, but once it is set up in a tool holder and left there, any time you need you a groove, screw in an insert and cut the groove......you will be loving how cheap the initial cost really turns out to be!
Thanks given by:
(02-08-2014, 12:23 PM)TomG Wrote: I grind just my own Willie. It only takes a few minutes to grind whatever size is needed if there isn't already one in the box.

Tom

Yes, that's what I do. Smile
Arbalest, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun since Sep 2012.
Thanks given by:
Being as cheap as I am I grind my own as well. You can make a lot of grooving tools out of $10 dollars of HSS.
I was given a grooving tool and some inserts, think I've only used it once, the only time the insert matched the groove I needed.
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: