How to change Dermel drum sanding bands?
One thing that I find incredibly frustrating is swapping the abrasive bands on the Dremel sanding drums.

[Image: 9626.jpg]

Whatever I try I can never get the band to fit perfectly on the drum. There is always overhang Bash

Someone must know the secret...
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
I guess I don't understand the problem. What exactly is overhanging and why is it a problem? Every one of my sanding drums look like that. 17428
Willie
Thanks given by:
That is what they are suppose to look like. I cannot get the new band to fit on the rubber drum once they wear out. I can never get them on all the way. About 80% on is the best I can get and it annoys the hell out of me.
Thanks given by:
Doesn't unscrewing the screw on the end allow the rubber drum to collapse enough to get the "band" on?
then you tighten the screw to expand the drum and it holds the "band" on?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
Tried that Steve.
Thanks given by:
Maybe warm up the drum prior to attempting the install. Chin

Ed
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 01:31 AM)Mayhem Wrote: One thing that I find incredibly frustrating is swapping the abrasive bands on the Dremel sanding drums.

[Image: 9626.jpg]

Whatever I try I can never get the band to fit perfectly on the drum. There is always overhang Bash

Someone must know the secret...

I've got a couple of the same type arbor from the little 1/8 inch ones for a dremel to ones that use 1 1/2 inch drums and all of them are the same way. Hard to remove and install the sanding drums, the rubbers too hard and doesn't expand and contract like it should.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Maybe treat the rubber part with old fashioned type writer roll cleaner, to soften it, if it's still available.

Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
(02-09-2014, 02:45 AM)Mayhem Wrote: That is what they are suppose to look like. I cannot get the new band to fit on the rubber drum once they wear out. I can never get them on all the way. About 80% on is the best I can get and it annoys the hell out of me.

Oh, that is easy. Pull the rubber drum off of the arbor and lube the shaft. The rubber gets stuck to the shaft and can't expand lengthwise when you loosen the screw. Smile
Willie
Thanks given by:
And Willie gets 10 out of 10 Smiley-eatdrink004
Darren, the harder one tries to push the sanding ring on the more the rubber drum expands and stops it.
Like Willie says take the rubber drum off it's shaft makes it easier to get the sanding ring on.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by: