VFDs
I today wired my Huanyang VFD to my 3hp 3 phase motor that was originally on my Tree mill. The bare basic wiring instructions worked and I'm pleased to say the motor turns, reverses and speeds up or down with the pot on the panel of the HY04D023B.
However, scary sounds and vibes start when I go beyond 120 or so HZ.- at only about half the turn of the pot.

Other of the many features purportedly capable of the VFD are vaguely documented by the poorly translated manual so I was just hoping that some of my homebuddys here might have or know of some English instructions or experience. Worthy
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
you may want to set the max hertz at around 60 Hz unless you really have a reason to run the motor at twice the rated speed
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
Think of it like running your car at double the red line without balancing the engine so it can take it. Might tend to shed parts suddenly.

My FM50 can be set for up to 200 Hz, but there's no way I'd take advantage of it. If you're getting unpleasant sounds, it's trying to tell you something.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
whoa! I'm not saying that I want to run at 200 Hz. This is just experimental stuff on the workbench. It's not on the mill yet by any stretch.

The 1 hp. single phase motor is still on the mill.

On the "test bench" when I turned the pot up to 120Hz I had only turned it about halfway up!

I know there are "programming" features that can change things like the above but the chinglish manual is so hard to interpret that I don't want to "experiment" and release the magic smoke.

I think I've learned how to wire in a remote fwd-off-rev switch and the "programming" required, I'll try some steps I think I interpret correctly from the "chinglish" manual.

I need to learn all that I need to know before I put the original 3hp 3ph motor back on without having the mill out of service too long. 17428
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
you have a pdf of the manual ?? that others could look at

DA

Thanks given by:
Glad to hear you finally wired it up. Been wondering what became of it. Congratulations!
Free advice is worth exactly what you payed for it.
Greg
Thanks given by: stevec
(02-10-2014, 07:10 PM)dallen Wrote: you have a pdf of the manual ?? that others could look at
DA

Dave, I would not normally subject my friends on this site to the undeterminable Chinglish jibber jabber of this manual but... You asked!

VFD Manual
Thanks given by:
Its actually not that bad for a chinese manual, I've seen a lot worse in some of the manuals from Allen Bradley where you get 400 pages of gibberish.

from glancing thru the manual at the parameters the one that you will want to change is the one which sets max output frequency its at 50 Hz as a factory default, don't know what you run up there in N.S.C., the other one you may have to change is the one which will set it up so that you have torque across the full range of motor speed (sorry didn't get the parameter number), and you line voltage coming into the unit.

you can also wire it for remote start/stop both directions and speed control, what you use depends on how fancy you want to get with this part of it, but at the least you will need two toggle switches and a 10 K pot for the speed control.

Hope that helps, but from looking at the manual its running at 50 hertz at the moment. so thats not going to let the smoke out of your motor.

DA

Thanks given by:
Dave, I hadn't looked at the manual in the link I provided because I have the hard copy that came with my VFD.
The manual in the link doesn't even mention the actual VFD I have. My hard copy manual does.
I THINK the general instructions apply for all models as there are 28 different models mentioned in my manual.
In my first post I mentioned that I was able to vary the frequency from very low to 120Hz, via the speed pot on the front of my unit I didn't go any further because that's where funny noises started happening.
MY unit is NOT preset to a maximum of 50Hz. I will try to program the max. output freq. to around 90Hz.
Anyway the link to the manual I provided was more to show how confusing I find the manual.
I know there are myriad settings, wirings, permutations and combinations available but what I need are specific instructions allowing me to set up my model VFD, not generalizations that maybe an experience electronics technician would be able to perform without batting an eye.
Thanks for your interest.
Steve
Thanks given by:
Steve,

What are some of the specific instructions you're looking for?

Ed
Thanks given by: stevec