Some long cuts in plate
I have some pieces of hot rolled steel 1/2" x 6" x 24". I am considering cutting one of them length wise in 2" strips for a project I have in mind. I do not have a vertical band saw and my horizontal one wont cut anything that long and it would not be straight if it were. I have a mill with some slitting saws and wonder if that would be a practical way to cut this plate.
Ben Franklin;
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Thanks given by:
Oxy-acetylene straight line cutter is what you need. Find someone local who can do it for you
Andrew Mawson, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Oct 2013.
Thanks given by:
hs, I don't know what your end use will be but I would splurge on a piece of ½" x 2" x 72". Even if you had a good vertical bandsaw, by the time your done releasing the stresses by the cutting, the pieces would be somewhat distorted and you'd end up with 3 pieces somewhat less than 2" wide.
As far as torch cutting, you'd only be able to get 2 pieces 2" wide. and even more distortion after cutting and clean-up.
JMHO.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
I think at times we all (in home workshops) have this problem, I've used angle grinder (with a cutting disc) a couple of times but no where near cutting 24" long.
Would I use a slitting saw on my (home type) mill 24" long cut .......nope.
It would turn me into a nervous wreck Rotfl Rotfl Rotfl
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
It'd be a shame to saw it up, someday you'll regret it. It'd make nice gear blanks for one thing, a milling fixture for another. Hell bent on cutting it up, I wouldn't even look at a vertical mill for that cuz I'd bust the blade. Piece of cake on a horizontal.

But consider this: a 1/2" x 2" x 24" bar of 1018 runs about $15 at Speedy Metals.
http://www.speedymetals.com/ps-473-39-12...-1018.aspx
Thanks given by:
(03-22-2014, 09:21 AM)Sunset Machine Wrote: It'd be a shame to saw it up, someday you'll regret it. It'd make nice gear blanks for one thing, a milling fixture for another. Hell bent on cutting it up, I wouldn't even look at a vertical mill for that cuz I'd bust the blade. Piece of cake on a horizontal.

But consider this: a 1/2" x 2" x 24" bar of 1018 runs about $15 at Speedy Metals.
http://www.speedymetals.com/ps-473-39-12...-1018.aspx

Yeah when I asked I was pretty sure the right answer was to just get the right size at the store. It is just that I have had this stuff since the early 70's and have moved it from place to place and not used it and by the look of things maybe never will. Back in the 70's I got the wild idea to build hydraulic presses and sell them around town. And I did sell a few but the oil embargo happened about the same time and the price of steel went up like a rocket and then I couldn't make a profit so I stopped. I just happened to have some of the 1x6 metal and a small bit of the 2" thick stuff left over.

Speaking of getting the right stuff at the store I looked around for the metal supermarkets and the main company website does not list one for Houston. But the Houston yellow pages does, so I called there and got a beep in my ear like a fax machine was about to start up. Their is a steel supply miles closer anyway. Just curious has anyone been to one of the metal supermarkets? Was it worth the trip?

Thanks for the replies.
Ben Franklin;
"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety

Thanks given by:
I'd just order the correct size.

6' lengths is easy UPS size, but seems I pay same price to ship something as it cost. Bash

Unless small enough to fit into the USPS flat rate. (200# of 4340, shipped for $37). Smiley-eatdrink004

In Houston you should have a ton of metal yards.

I'm over in Austin. Westbrook Metals (full sticks) is my goto place. When I need smaller stuff... they have a retail outlet called "Metals 4 U" that is open Saturday Morning. Call them, fax over what you need, and if not stocked there they get it from the bigger place. If they are busy, about an hour to cut your order.

http://www.metals4u.com/store-hours.html

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

roundrocktom, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Mar 2014.
Thanks given by:
(03-22-2014, 10:53 AM)roundrocktom Wrote: I'd just order the correct size.

6' lengths is easy UPS size, but seems I pay same price to ship something as it cost. Bash

Unless small enough to fit into the USPS flat rate. (200# of 4340, shipped for $37). Smiley-eatdrink004

In Houston you should have a ton of metal yards.

I'm over in Austin. Westbrook Metals (full sticks) is my goto place. When I need smaller stuff... they have a retail outlet called "Metals 4 U" that is open Saturday Morning. Call them, fax over what you need, and if not stocked there they get it from the bigger place. If they are busy, about an hour to cut your order.

http://www.metals4u.com/store-hours.html

Thanks for the info. I have a lot of mail order metal places in my favorites. I just like the idea of picking it up in person. One of the persons who reviewed the metals supermarket listing said there is a better place on Telephone road. I think I will check them out sometime next week. One of the guys I buy lead from uses the post office if it fits it ships boxes. He can get about 50 lbs in one and mails it to me free shipping. He does get too much for his lead, makes up for the shipping I guess.
Ben Franklin;

Thanks given by:
I finally found a nice place on Telephone road about 5 miles from my house. I forget names almost immediately but I think the name is Steel Supply. They also must be ornamental iron heaven as the showroom is full of really nice ornamental iron and fittings for it. You can buy short pieces from a bin in the showroom for a higher cost or buy the full length metal and have it cut. I bought a 12 foot piece of 1/2x2 bar stock for $87 tax included and they did not charge me for cutting. It actually fit inside a little Scion XD with just one cut in the middle.
Ben Franklin;

Thanks given by:
Boy! $87 sounds real steep to me! But I'm glad you got what you needed.
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by: