Need spec for indexable tool holder
I was gifted with 2 packs of Sandvik Coromant inserts. The gifter swears they work miracles on hard steel. I did not get the tool holder or clamp for these inserts. The inserts are marked SNGN 12 04, 16ESNG 434A, and 620.
I have researched these inserts and found lots of info on metals they will work on, speeds and feeds, but cannot find an insert holder for them.
Can someone with knowledge of these inserts please explain how to find the insert holder and clamps for these inserts? If I can get the proper clamps and spec for the tool holder, I think it’s within my capabilities to make the tool holder.
Chuck

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
Good timing. I got a bunch of large carbides yesterday at a yard sale. Some square, some triangular, even some three-point threading carbides I've never seen before. I'll be watching for pointers to make several different holders.
Mike

If you can't get one, make one.

Hawkeye, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Jan 2013.
Thanks given by:
Hawkeye, I've posted my question on 6 forums and the only result Ive gotten was to look on the Sandvik site, which I already had done. Unless I am just not understanding what I see, I found nothing there but the description/spec of the insert.
If it was a holed insert,I would be o.k. but these are clamp type.

Chuck
Thanks given by:
Chuck,
This is a holder from Iscar, I know it wasn't what you asked for but it may help. http://www.iscar.com/eCatalog/Family.asp...pe=4&rel=I
I have to say I have never found the Sandvik web site very helpful - maybe it is just me.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH
Thanks given by:
(05-25-2014, 11:59 AM)DaveH Wrote: Chuck,
This is a holder from Iscar, I know it wasn't what you asked for but it may help. http://www.iscar.com/eCatalog/Family.asp...pe=4&rel=I
I have to say I have never found the Sandvik web site very helpful - maybe it is just me.
Smiley-eatdrink004
DaveH

Well Dave, at least you found something! I've been admonished on another forum that the Sandvik site has all the info I'd ever want, but Da--ed if I can find it. Plus, I don't want to spent $80+ for a tool holder... Now the Sandvik link that was provided doesn't load...

Thanks Dave and all that responded.

Chuck
Thanks given by:
Isn't PixMan, aka Ken, the go to guy for this type of info?
Busy Bee 12-36 lathe, Busy Bee Mill drill, Busy Bee 4x6 bandsaw, Homemade 9x17 bandsaw, Ad infinitum.
Thanks given by:
(05-25-2014, 01:10 PM)stevec Wrote: Isn't PixMan, aka Ken, the go to guy for this type of info?

He certainly is. I'm sure he can help once he sees the post.

Ed
Thanks given by:
look like milling inserts, I have face mill that uses 4 of the same style insert. those are pretty big inserts, I have some in 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4 inch.

DA
dallen, proud to be a member of MetalworkingFun Forum since Apr 2012.

If life seems normal, your not going fast enough! Tongue
Thanks given by:
(05-25-2014, 03:20 PM)dallen Wrote: look like milling inserts,...

DA

I have to agree. That's a big insert for lathe tooling but I'm likely wrong.

Ed
Thanks given by:
Those are more commonly used in milling applications than turning. There are holders for turning with them, but if you already have a holder for SNMG43x size inserts (as I do) then you just need a different anvil (seat) and clamp. Most holders would use an eccentric screw in the middle and a clamp over the top. For those inserts you would switch to a screw-down anvil with no eccentric sticking up, and a flat clamp.

Once you have that, pray for the inserts. Big Grin

They are a non-reinforced Al²O³ ceramic insert, intended for milling cast iron. You would have an easier time finding a milling cutter that takes them. In fact, I may have one you could have for CHEAP.
Thanks given by: