Scrap yard find
A buddy of mine talked me into going to the scrap yard near his house.
The place had a big building full of pallet sized boxes, barels, and even buckets of various metals.
Since he had been there before, he lead me to the honey hole! Several 55 gal drums, half to 2/3 full of machining cutters of every description. Several of the cutters were broken, but not all. We got MT#2 and 3 drills, end mills, taps, center drills, spotting drills, and counter sinks. The mills were 2 and 4 flute, single and double ended, some roughers, ball ends, roundovers, in sizes from huge to 1/16. All were US, German, or Japanese made. Most we picked out were undamaged. I ended up with 53 mills alone. All for the scrap price of 25¢/pound. I bought 10 lbs.
Also got some 630 brass bar ends, and 2ea 3/4 aluminum plates, 10" of 2 1/4" aluminum bar. My total came to $42!
Now I can experiment more with 2 vs 4 flutes, roundovers and roughers.
They also had steel, stainless, most anything you could think of...
I'll be going back...
I've lived here for 18 years and never knew it was there!

Chuck
Micromark 7x14 Lathe, X2 Mill , old Green 4x6 bandsaw
The difficult takes me a while, the impossible takes a little longer.
Thanks given by:
You know the drill Chuck (lol): Pictures or it didn't happen. Big Grin

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
(05-28-2014, 04:54 PM)TomG Wrote: You know the drill Chuck (lol): Pictures or it didn't happen. Big Grin

Tom

Smiley-signs009
Thanks given by:
Well, have to comply... That many end mills and other anciliary stuff covers the available space on my workshop desk. I'll see about taking pics tomorrow.

Chuck
Thanks given by: EdK

(05-28-2014, 04:54 PM)TomG Wrote: You know the drill Chuck (lol): Pictures or it didn't happen. Big Grin

Tom
Thanks given by:
Ok, now you can get an official You Suck

It's amazing they would sell that stuff for 25¢ a pound, and even more amazing that perfectly good cutters like that would end up in a scrap yard. Good find!

Tom
[Image: TomsTechLogo-Profile.png]
Thanks given by:
I'm with Tom 100% on both the emoticon and the comments!
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by:
There was an area in the building that had large boxes and barrels on pallets that had even more cutters, but the yard guy said they were already sold! Somebody is buying it besides us...
My buddy tried to get the yard guy to save him some steel drops and let him know when any tooling came in. Even offered him money, but he wasn't interested. Hope it means that they get lots of it!
They even took in swarf from one of the few local machine shops still working, but it had to be segregated by metal and clean.
I also got a couple rounds of 630 brass ans 6061 alum, and som 3/4" alum plate.
Chuck
Thanks given by:
I think the short drills are spotting drills. Can anyone post a picture of a spotting drill, jobber length, and regular drill bit so I can get an idea of length, please?
What is the attack angle on a spotting drill?

Chuck
Thanks given by:
Top right-hand drill in your top right-hand picture looks to be a spotting drill. I'ts not 100% clear to me if the others are or not. Mine has a 90° included angle but I don't have any pics.
Hunting American dentists since 2015.
Thanks given by: